Surface Skimmer??

lbannie

I found this surface skimmer (only $9.95) which supposedly acts as a protein skimmer. It hooks directly into my existing filter, which is a marineland magnum 350 canister. Does this seem like crap or do these work?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by lbannie
http:///forum/post/3207812
I found this surface skimmer (only $9.95) which supposedly acts as a protein skimmer. It hooks directly into my existing filter, which is a marineland magnum 350 canister. Does this seem like crap or do these work?
Skimming oily stuff off the surface is a good idea. But, IMO, a tank should have enough surface turbulence (to aid gas exchange) to make surface skimming unnecessary.

alvin

I have a Surface skimmer that attaches to my Fluval 405 and I like it. It DOES NOT act as a PROTEIN skimmer though. It just cleans the top off to make it nice and clear. But you should definitely get a protein skimmer. I learned the hard way, as far as $$$

xcali1985

aim a powerhead towards the surface, for about 10$ more you can get a really small one that will do the job nicely and allows your actual skimmer to pull it all out anyways. Plus youll get the added benefit of keeping the tank cooler and raising oxygen levels.