Surprise!

sueandherzoo

Look what happened in the four hours between when I was home for lunch and when I got home at the end of the day.

teresaq

ohhh warning babies, Either that or he had them this morning and you didnt catch it. hehehe. Have you checked you filter to be sure thier arent more. Thats a very small brood. What species are they.
Congrats
TeresaQ

S

shrimpy brains

Fantastic! Good luck with them, lots of updates Please!!

sueandherzoo

Actually, as sad as it may sound, I'm not really even going to try to save these. First of all I was not in the least bit prepared and didn't even plan on trying to raise seahorse fry until next fall/winter. At this time of year I try to keep my indoor hobby maintenance to a minimum so I can go back to devoting my free time to my outdoor ponds and habitats. Raising fry was not in the plan, and I really didn't even think I would HAVE any fry until I purchased another seahorse. The only horses I have right now are an adult male Southern Erectus, a young adult female red Reidi and an adolescent male yellow Reidi. I didn't think the horses would cross breed and I didn't think the male Reidi was even big enough or old enough to breed yet so I honestly am not even sure who the "Daddy" is at this point.
There were no fry this morning and there were no fry this afternoon during my lunch hour. I did comment to the adolescent male Reidi that his belly looked awfully puffed up all of a sudden but I figured he was just showing off and practicing inflating. Then at 5:30 p.m. my husband called me at the office and said "you better get home ASAP - I just got home and you have baby seahorses in your tank!" We have no idea who gave birth and how many there originally were - there were only these 26 when I got home. Some could be in the Fluval (which I just cleaned Sunday) and many could have gotten eaten. Or, this could just be a really tiny brood, which would make sense that it was the young male that produced them. But now that you mention it could be a "warning" batch, the young guy does still look like he's got a full belly. That's why I can't tell who gave birth---both males still look inflated.
With a starting number of only 26 I'm not even going to bother setting up the nursery tank but I"m THRILLED to know that I have a mated pair in there!!!
Such fascinating little specimens - I can't stop staring at them.
Sue

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3024559
ohhh warning babies, Either that or he had them this morning and you didnt catch it. hehehe. Have you checked you filter to be sure thier arent more. Thats a very small brood. What species are they.
Congrats
TeresaQ
Teresa, you might be right about the "warning babies" yesterday. Today at lunch time I went home to find my adolescent male Reidi with a big belly (below). So either some slipped out yesterday and the rest are yet to come or perhaps yesterday's batch was the male Erectus and the male Reidi is next. Kinda hard to tell at this tender young age what breed yesterday's are. Does this look pregnant or do they flush out their pouches after giving birth? I feel like he's just a baby himself!

Sue

teresaq

onew way you can tell, are any of the fry hitching at all?? if not reidi
His pouch looks big, but it could be him puffing up for his girl. Just keep an eye out
T

sueandherzoo

None of the fry are hitching yet but I can't remember how early my batch of Erectus fry hitched -- not sure if they did it in the first 24 hours or not. If they are Reidi I don't imagine I have a prayer in hell of successfully raising any of them. Not only are they harder than Erectus but I, again, wasn't prepared for this brood and the "Daddy" is so small and young himself I can't imagine his fry would be hardy and healthy. Nice to know they're a mated pair, though!
Sue

pezenfuego

Congrats on your mated pair

Truly a nice surprise. That's so awesome. Are you going to make an attempt at raising them anyway?
Oh btw, I like the expression: "I don't have a popsicle chance in hell." a lot better

teresaq

Ya, if you havent started them on rotifers yet, they will starve. My erectus hitched within a few hours.
T