Suspicious fish ID please!

mark_d

Hey!
I got a couple of these as a gift earlier today:

The store had em labeled as *something-I-Dont-remember* Chromis accordin to the person who gave em to me....
What are they? if they are chromis couuld i have like one or two more so they school?

saltfish123

That to me looks like a damsel of some sort, but if it is a chromis usually you can get a couple more to school together if your tank is big enough

psusocr1

although im not 100% sure that looks liek a cross between a juvi and adult gerabaldi damsel.. if its more red than the picture thats what it is im pretty sure

nygel

it looks liek my old javanese damsel, but instead of black with blue lines, its orange with aqua lines. For a damsel, I like that thing alot.

johnbob

This fish is a cross damsel(Neoglyphidodon crossi). We have them at the LFS I work at and they are labeled as red honey chromis. But even by looking at them in person you can tell it looks more like a damsel then a chromis. If you got them at Jack's aquariums and pets in Columbus, Ohio, I might be the one who sold it to you

mark_d

Well, I am in San Antonio Tx, so sadly, it cant be you. Also, i fishbase'd Cross Damsel and... well... no. Mainly cause all the pictures of cross damsel's that ive seen lack the big black/blue dot that these guys have on their backs... I thought it might be either a cross or a garibaldi but then it looks more like something in between ^__^. Still doing my research over here but thanks for the input.
However, they did have them labeled as Red Honey Chromis.. or Honey Chromis at least. Just out of curiosity how much do they go for at your store? Might as well find out if I got a good deal since no one else sells them around here.

mark_d

also, should add that since I got it its been getting a lot more tiny blue dots all over its body... which just makes things more confusing...

psusocr1

chrmois are damsels " so to speak"
Chromis and damsels is a genus of fish in the family Pomacentridae.
but haveing different species names obviously
thus the same to science but very different fish to your awuarium!

renogaw

Originally Posted by Johnbob
This fish is a cross damsel(Neoglyphidodon crossi). We have them at the LFS I work at and they are labeled as red honey chromis. But even by looking at them in person you can tell it looks more like a damsel then a chromis. If you got them at Jack's aquariums and pets in Columbus, Ohio, I might be the one who sold it to you
how are they as a fish? aggressive like a damsel, or passive like a chromis? i actually would love to get a couple of these--they are beautiful.

firefish9

Originally Posted by psusocr1
although im not 100% sure that looks liek a cross between a juvi and adult gerabaldi damsel.. if its more red than the picture thats what it is im pretty sure

Yes its that type of damsel I thought they were a coldwater species. They get pretty big.....

quads4_lif

Originally Posted by mark_D
Well, I am in San Antonio Tx, so sadly, it cant be you. Also, i fishbase'd Cross Damsel and... well... no. Mainly cause all the pictures of cross damsel's that ive seen lack the big black/blue dot that these guys have on their backs... I thought it might be either a cross or a garibaldi but then it looks more like something in between ^__^. Still doing my research over here but thanks for the input.
However, they did have them labeled as Red Honey Chromis.. or Honey Chromis at least. Just out of curiosity how much do they go for at your store? Might as well find out if I got a good deal since no one else sells them around here.

Not to jack your thread but are you also a member of MAAST?

S

surfinusa

its a juvi garabaldi i see them a lot, how much was he because sometimes the juveniles are about 75 buck

mark_d

was pretty damn cheap here....just 9 bucks. IMMA buy 100 and sell em now! XD.. no not really.. but they are really damned cute and very sociable somehow (i was half expecting them to tear into my two wrasses but the little guys just follow him around).
Also, would having a group of 3-5 be ok or wouuld they kill each other?
quads4_lif: what is MAAST? i am assuming its some type of club for aquarists.... is there such a thing here in san antonio? im kinda new here but that sorta thing would be awesome!
Anywho... since most people seem to agree that its a Garibaldi Damsel Ill go with that. I personally agree, it could be. If anyone has another opinion its more than welcome tho ^_^.
On that note..... i could use some more corals (my mom killed my bubble coral recently while trying to catch a fish we were trying to get rid of. lol...>_>) so if any of u guys wants a couple we can trade maybe? LMK! XD

jaymz

i agree with the garabali ID.
Not sure about keeping a bunch together. once they start maturing they will pair off and fight for territory and if im correct im pretty sure they are one of the larger damsels getting to about 12" full grown.
But they do keep there vibrant orange color.
They are protected on california coasts

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2742303
i agree with the garabali ID.
Not sure about keeping a bunch together. once they start maturing they will pair off and fight for territory and if im correct im pretty sure they are one of the larger damsels getting to about 12" full grown.
But they do keep there vibrant orange color.
They are protected on california coasts
This thread is OLD!