SW technology in FW tank?

nacl-h2o

I know some of you keep FW, and even planted tanks. So I’ll ask your opinions on something. Back when converting my reef tanks from pleniums to DSBs and from skimmers to caulerpa filled refugia, I considered using a DSB and refugium in my FW PLNT tanks. I was unfortunately delayed, but have recently been looking back at it.
I’ve see planted tanks with 2” or 3” of sand and nitrogen bubbles. And after research, it appears that the mechanics are similar, only the sand could be, and probably needs to be shallower. I have found FW worms and pods to keep the sand bed going and they will be safe from the fish in the refugium, to reproduce and maintain a population in the main tank. I have found a place to buy them as well, Scuds(FW relative of amphipods, same function) FW copepods, and two types of FW subterranean worms all capable of thriving in FW and reproducing in a tank. It also appears with the additional water movement and load more plants could be kept without using a CO2 tank. The additional water movement and surface exposure creates more O2 (and even more CO2 for plants) in the water for the pods and worms which will produce more CO2 and those same pods and worms will produce more waste meaning more nitrifying bacteria creating more CO2 supporting more plants producing more O2 for the additional animals. I’m sure this will take some tweaking and a little survival of the fittest. To increase surface for bacterial colonization bio-balls will be kept in the return area of the refugium. This tank is already planted and has proper lighting.
Now I would like some considerate criticizing, input and opinions, before proceeding to make sure I haven’t over looked anything important. Much consideration has gone in to it and not all has been typed here, but shoot away. I would rather you shoot holes in it here, rather than my wanting to shoot a hole in my foot later for overlooking something simple and costly. Thanks.

nacl-h2o

It would have to be quartz sand, Aragonite based sand would drive the PH up to high, I would only consider it in an african cichlid tank where it would actualy be ideal.
I'm doing the 29g first(test tank) neons, tetras, and the like.
If it works out as planned, I'll do the 90g in about 6 months.

But you really don't want africans ciclids in a planted tank. They are well known to tear the plants apart. But sounds like a good plan !!

nacl-h2o

This is not going to be an african tank. I know all about the plant terrorizing cichlids. I also know which plants can be used with which cichilds and how to anchor them. But I'm not going that way with this tank. This tank will be small passive or semi-aggresive fish as noted above.