Swapping out PCs for VHO in a CSL hood

aggie05

Here are some pics of the retro I did in my CSL moonlight PC hood. I decided to switch over to 2 24" VHO bulbs for a total of 150 watts. That is 20 more than the stock lighting, and the coloration is significantly better. Anyways, here is a shot of the hood before I did anything to it.

aggie05

Now the completed hood. The stock fan is still hooked up and while I don't have the moonlights hooked up right now, you don't even touch them so they would remain intact.

smoothounds

That.....is......awesome! I considered that But I think what I am going to do with mine is retro a 150w DE metal halide in between my pc's to give it a total of 280watts. Yours is awesome! Good job!

aggie05

I too considered that, but decided I didn't really need MH, plus I like the VHO coloration better.

sagxman

Thanks Aggie,
I also think I'm going to go with either a 70w or 150w MH instead of the VHO and keep my PC's probably changing the 10,000K to another actinic. Thanks for all your suggestions.
David

R

redhot13

Can u post a pic before and after with the VHO's? I would love to see the difference!

aggie05

Originally posted by SaGxMAN
Thanks Aggie,
I also think I'm going to go with either a 70w or 150w MH instead of the VHO and keep my PC's probably changing the 10,000K to another actinic. Thanks for all your suggestions.
David

If you really wanted to dish out some cash, there is room for a HQI MH bulb in there. But then you would also have to figure out how to shield it with UV glass.

aggie05

jeepboy

Sano installation. I have a 48" CSL light and I don't mind the PC's that much but I would like to add MH. If I added MH to this hood, wouldn't the bulbs be too close to the water since I use the CSL hood stands? Would I need a uv sheild if I use a single end MH bulb (I though only DE MH bulbs needed shielding)?

sagxman

Originally posted by Aggie05
If you really wanted to dish out some cash, there is room for a HQI MH bulb in there. But then you would also have to figure out how to shield it with UV glass.

Already found some specs from someone who did it on that other message board that I won't name here.
It really won't be much more expensive. $60-70 for the HQI bulb, they used a socket from a worklite at Home Depot, a ballast for around $70. UV glass can be purchased and cut at Michaels craft store for about $30, but my sister-in-law works for a picture company that does framing and can get me a good deal on the glass.
I'll try to post pics after I start working on it. May be a while though.

aggie05

Originally posted by Jeepboy
Sano installation. I have a 48" CSL light and I don't mind the PC's that much but I would like to add MH. If I added MH to this hood, wouldn't the bulbs be too close to the water since I use the CSL hood stands? Would I need a uv sheild if I use a single end MH bulb (I though only DE MH bulbs needed shielding)?

Any HQI MH bulb needs UV shielding. I don't think it would be too close because several people are already doing it. Heat is the only issue.

meloco14

Has anyone tried HO's in there instead of VHO or Halides? I wonder how many watts of T-5's you could fit in there...