SWCD or Seaswirls for closed loop?

my way

I'm in the process of modding a SCWD to hopefully acheive three things,
1} Slow down the switching rate, it's to fast as far as I'm concerned.
2} To increase flow
3} Allow easy access to the mechanical pieces inside for cleaning
Dogstar, how big did you make the ID of the outlets? Did you also drill out the inlet?

darknes

Originally Posted by Hurt
You still are going to have friction, unless your closed loop is nothing but straight pvc, which of course could never happen.
Yes, that is true. There will be all sorts of things that will add "head" to the pump. But in theory, you won't have the pressure head that you would have if you were pumping directly from a sump below the tank to your display tank.

hurt

Only way you can do that is to slow down the flow to it. I have never done this, but I would think if you took a T off your pump return, then off each T put a SCWD, this would still give you alot of flow, and would really slow down the switching rate of each. Not to mention the fact that you would have some really good random flow.
This is how I plumbed mine. I used union valves so I could take it apart to soak it in vinegar.

my way

I plan to drill out the inlet and outlets to increase flow. I also plan to split the water going into the SCWD, water for the mechanical device will still enter the unit as it is stock from the factory, but I plan to add another inlet through the top as well. I have alredy cut the top off of it. I have to go get the apprpriate ABS fittings to glue it back together for the removable top. This will give me access for cleaning.

dogstar

Originally Posted by My Way
Dogstar, how big did you make the ID of the outlets? Did you also drill out the inlet?
I drilled all 3 ports. I dont think it would help much unless you do all 3.
..sorry, I dont remember what size drill bit I used but I beleive it reduced the wall thickness at least by half...

debdeb

Thanks for the input everyone! The pictures are so helpful. I'm thinking for the money right now until I can afford more, I may go with the SCWD and use my Iwaki 40rxlt pump I already have. Or I've got a couple smaller 900gph pumps that I may be able to use 2 SCWD's and get more turbulence, rather than 1 pump at 1200gph. What do you think? Can you use the loc line tubing to direct the flow?

bojik

Originally Posted by debdeb
Thanks for the input everyone! The pictures are so helpful. I'm thinking for the money right now until I can afford more, I may go with the SCWD and use my Iwaki 40rxlt pump I already have. Or I've got a couple smaller 900gph pumps that I may be able to use 2 SCWD's and get more turbulence, rather than 1 pump at 1200gph. What do you think? Can you use the loc line tubing to direct the flow?
Take into account that the "waves" make more current/flow for your corals than just turn over by itself. Another thing people do to reduce flow reduction is to up size the pipes past whats needed to connect the SCWD units> using bushings to downsize for the connectors needed only on the SCWD connections. Kind of like what hurt did on his system. Not sure what size you'll what to use for your set up though.