"Sweating" TANK????

litlepig11

hello from columbus, ohio temp outside is about 93, humidity 70% the temp in my NO AC home the high si about 76. the problem im having is my tank is sweating, this is the first summer i have had the tank. my walls and floor our soaked, i am afraid of them rotting. the outside glass and cabnit of my tank are also constily wet. do i have a leak? or is this from the humity in the air? i have noiced salt deposits on the BOTTOM lip of my tank. Has anyone heard of a tank sweating, alot or know an esay way to test for a leak? if it is just because of the humity i may have to sell
cant run a dehumitfy, whole diffrent can of worms lets not get into. tank is 100 galls w/under cabniet sump, w/skimmer thanks :help:

emperor11

Truthfully, your only two options, are to either get A/C for the room that your tank is in, or to get a dehumidifier. The A/C would be a better solution though, and probably cheaper.

beerkegman

I never heard of a tank sweating :notsure: Is the tank only sweating on one side or in just one place. This sound strange to me. Can you post a picture?

litlepig11

i looked at getting one of those room AC that dont have to be in a window but they are a mint, and my tanks inside temp has never got to warm, so i didnt think that would be what i needed. right? anyother suggustions?

litlepig11

the glass of the tank is wet all around the tank, the walls around the tank, are wet to the point of wallpaper is gone, plaster is being damaged, floor is also damaged

squidd

What temp is the tank??
A warm tank should not "sweat"...(that's why they put tempering valves on toilet tanks)
Sounds like a leak, or poor ventilation in home allowing evap to condensate on walls...
Try a fan...move some air...open a window...get a dehumidifier going...or find the leak...

scubanoah

I would say you have a leak. Do you have a powerhead or anything else near the surface that could cause it to spill over? How far is the water level dropping daily?

alyssia

I am also in Columbus. I have air today but it wasn't working yesterday, and my tank was not sweating. Sounds like you have something else going on.

aquasafe

Did you fill your tank with new water reciently?If so then it could be your water ajusting to the room temp.

aquasafe

Originally Posted by Aquasafe
Did you fill your tank with new water reciently?If so then it could be your water ajusting to the room temp.
It's probelly just condensation.I'll go away soon.Like a day or so.

Y

yeffre kix

If your getting salt deposits outside the tank and losing more water than normal evaporation it's a leak. Sounds like you've got a good setup, so I would recomend just replacing the main tank before it ruins your stand or damages your home. Maybe your getting an early warning before total failure of your tank. Then your running the risk of losing all your livestock too.

litlepig11

its been this way for about a week and half, i agree that it seems like a leak, i cant afford a new tank, i think im just going to sell out my live stock till i can get a new one. thanks for all the help

scubanoah

I live just south of columbus. Let me know what you have you want to get rid of, corals,livestock, etc... I also have a empty tank I may be willing to trade or sell if interested.

scubanoah

It is a 120. 5ft long 18in wide. I just put wood floors in my kitchen(where the tank was) and I had to take the tank down to do it. It is in near new condition, less than 1 yr old. I never thought about getting rid of it before now, but if I can help you out of a leaky tank and you can free up some garage space for me maybe we can work something out. I also have the stand and lids.

litlepig11

my stand will work on it i think, ill triple check, but i understand also if you want to get it all out and not break up the set. that would be great, is it already drilled? why dont we get in touch via email and talk about some details im chrisandterra2@yahoo.com thanks

payton 350

is it possible that you have a filter or bubbles that are popping on the surface which in turn splash onto the tank and the water just slides down on the tank and the salt just gathers at the bottom

infern0

Those would be noticeable bubbles....tank water would have to be cooler than ambient temperature to "sweat" condense. There's no way the outside of your tank is coated in water like a glass of ice water gets. Don't waste time if you already know it's a leak. That would mean one or more of your seals are bad and the weight of the water on the damaged seals can completely give away at any time.