Sweeper

iyachtuxivm

So this may sound like a dumb question but do zoo/palys have sweepers? I tried taking pics camera not so good. Could it be waste product (poop). You cant tell from pics but its same color as the zoo.

A

alexmir

no, zoas and palys do not have sweeper tentecals, it is probably just slime ozzing off of the polyp

flricordia

There are worms that live in the rocks that put out sweeper-like apendages to catch food. Very common to find in and near zoanthid colonies. May from time to time irritate the zoas to close a bit, but nothing to worry about.

iyachtuxivm

Ok tried to inhance the photo a little. Also its comming out of the mouth of the zoo that I circled. And like I said its the same color as the zoo. Yuo can see it traveling across the pic up and to the left. The fish were very interested in it and when I set my camera down it was gone only time I have seen this.

flricordia

poop more than likely if it is coming from the mouth. I have not seen it but zoas can expell their zooxanthella. I am sure this is done through the mouth also since the zooxanthella are located in the mesenterial walls of the polyp. How long have you had the zoas and where are they located from the lighting? Zooxanthella algae is a golden/yellow/brown color.

iyachtuxivm

bottom of the tank, and I have had them almost as long as the tank was set up since april. Just changed my light from a 4x24 T5 to a 150 hqi 2x24 t5. But that was wednesday. They just did this yesterday. They look healthy still. The string was the same color as the zoo purple.

blazin2k6

That is just poop bro, Nothing to worry about. And if you ever really pay attention to them. Its like they do it i dunno that word but when many things do something all at once. LOL. Because ill be seeing some of my zoos or palys do that after they might have eaten or something and then you'll see all of em doing it. That is the same type of zoa/paly. Its kind of crazy. I was scared it was dying the first time i seen it happen.