Sweetlips Clown/Grub Feeding Question

coopersx

I recently purchased a sweetlips clown fish. Sorry, I have since found that this fish will easily outgrow my tank and is not a recomeneded fish for the marine aquarium. The dealer stated that he would not get very big and would eat flakes and frozen Brine shrimp. My tank is a 54 gallon corner tank and thus far none of the tankmates are small enough for him to swallow. My reasearch has since shown that they usually die 2-3 days after captivity and probably will not eat.
My question is how to get him to eat. Flakes and frozen brine shrimp are passed up. He swims about and looks healthy but looks at the bottom of the tank as if waiting for something live to pass by. At night he picks at the gravel...unlikely anything substatial there for a carnivour. I added live glass shrimp which he aggressivly pursued but bit one in half and gave up on the rest. I then added 10 small guppies...he caught and ate 3. So far this appears to be the only food I have observed him consume. I am going to the supermarket and try Raw fish filet and Raw clam. He has been in the tank 3 days and appears healthy (actively swims about seraching for food?) but probably malnourished....thin below dorsal spine and indentations above each eye. Any suggestions on what or how to get this small 3" fish to eat. I will evenually move him to a large tank or give him away if he lives long enough to maintain that size. Thanks.
Sincerely, Wayne

mombostic

You might try pieces of the silversides or the like on a feeder stick. Wave it around in front of him--sort of like fishing without the hook. I know of people who have done this with lionfish. You're probably right--he will be malnourished on a diet of freshwater fish. My local Petland had a Clown Sweetlips in the tank several months back. When I questioned the lady as to what it was, she informed me that it wouldn't get too big, was reef safe, and very hardy. I came home and did a little reading and found out a different story. Live and learn, I guess, right?

coopersx

Thanks for the reply. I came home and the fish was under a rock near death. He died after 48 hours. I feel this species of fish should be sold by *request* only. If a person is dedicated and willing to take the risk and time of raising one from juvinile to adult then they would have no problem waiting to take delivery.
For a dealer to falsley state that this fish is a hardy speciman and will eat flake food and brine shrimp is not only unethical...but illegal. I would question the validity of the stores return policy when such fraudulant advice is given about there product to entice a sale. I am not mad about losing $20.00...It infuriates me that an expert (who has been in the field for years and has his own personal marine aqaurium) is nothing more then a crook. I see no diffference between stating that a fish can talk "when it cant" and then try to hide behind their return policy. It won't "fly" in court...or more appropiately "sink or swim " or maybe " won't hold water" etc.... <G>
Take care, Wayne

mombostic

I know what you mean. The Petland here offers no guarantees or refunds. They won't trade with you or anything. There is a store about two hours from here that I go to that will trade on corals and even fish.
Ever since I ended up with an orange linckia starfish in my tank because the guy told me they were algae eaters (which is not exactly correct) I learned to go home and read about a species before I even consider buying it, unless I already know for sure about it.
Why don't the employees make an effort to read about the species they get in? It takes about five minutes to log onto a web site and find out simple facts like reef safe or whatever. Why just make up something? At least say, "I'm not sure." I don't buy anything from Petland anymore since the Linckia thing. I give my money to the people who are trying to enrich the hobby.
Sorry about what happened. At least you made an effort to help the guy. He was probably doomed anyway.
Janice

coopersx

Hi Janice. Your advice is excellent and should not be ignored by anyone. I have found 2 reliable scources other then online research that are fairly local for me. One dealer is in De. about one hour drive for me and the other is "All fish" in Clifton N.J. 3+ hours away. A web search will find their phone # and these guys are the best for instant answers to any questions. Your call will be fowarded to the person with the most experience on the subject at hand and if necessary your question may be fielded between staff members. They directed me to this forum :)
When purchasing fish one should really know ahead of time what their intentions are so there should not be any question as to wheter their purchase is suitable for their tank/conditions/ability to provide the appropiate level of care etc. A reference book on hand may help if purchasing a fish one is unsure of or are unable to lookup online at the time. (I would have avoided the Sweetlips Clown had I known better). Thanks for your help. I should have known not to purchase without first researching this fish given my past experience with this dealer. It is the only marine shop in the area...still a 45 min drive. Thanks for your help and I will not forget your advice. "research before you purchase". Even the research may be slighty contradicted but at least you will know all aspects of others experiences.
Take care, Wayne