Sweetlips???

bjgwilliam

I am thinking about getting a Sweetlips. Is it possible to keep one healthy and happy in a 46gal.??? Any info would be appreciated. If you have photos of your Sweetlips please post.
Thanks,:jumping:

dmc888

All sweetlips that i have seen need a 150g
here is a description.
Spotted Sweetlips, also known as the Clown Sweetlips or Harlequin Sweetlips, changes color as it matures. As a juvenile, it has a brown base covered with large white dots with darker margins. As an adult, the body color changes to white with black dots.
A 150 gallon or larger aquarium is required due to its size and eating habits. It grows at a rapid pace to almost 3 feet in length. It needs a larger tank to provide it with ample swimming room and plenty of hiding places. If placed in a reef aquarium, the Spotted Sweetlips will eat smaller crustaceans, smaller fireworms, serpent stars, small snails, and polychaete worms.
When first introduced into the aquarium, it requires live food such as freshwater ghost shrimp, marine shrimp, or blackworms. Once it has acclimated, most marine carnivore preparations will be acceptable.

mystangt

I thought about buying one. But when I read up about them and found out how big they get I changed my mind They get very big and just would not fit in with it's other tank mates. That's just my opinion though.

inkman2004

I am currently fish sitting my friends sweetlips and he is a really cool fish. I am thinking of getting a 150 gal just so I can have one. I have a couple of pics.

ophiura

:nope:
PLEASE do not get a sweetlips. Do some more research. It is not that they get so large - frankly, VERY few grow in hobbyists tanks. They are sold cute and small but getting them to eat can be difficult, and even if they do, the commonly just die for no apparent reason. Similar in some respects to Moorish Idols - which also commonly "eat like champs" and then suddenly die for no reason. Anyway, Sweetlips are VERY DIFFICULT, IMO to keep...only experts, IMO, and even then success seems to be low. Personally, they are on my "wish they would ban" list. And not to mention, even if you do succeed and get them to grow big, they also lose that cute and pretty coloration, growing into something that may not be so attractive to you.

dan hanna

:notsure: damn that sucks i just bought one a few days ago..they sure are beautiful when there young. i found myself unable to leave the store with out that fish. eating great and having a blast with the emporer snapper thats twice his size. would post pics but havent quite figured it out. :thinking:

inkman2004

Does anyone have any pics of a mature sweetlips??? Everyone talks about how ugly they get but I have never seen one.

bjgwilliam

I think that answers my question.... I think I am going to pass on this fish. Your right, they are ugly as adaults...:sleepy: