SWF.com Order

dacia

I just received my cleaners this morning from swf.com. Even though I have them floating around still, I still say that they look great! At about 11:00 I start dripping. Now, hopefully, my tank will be algae free. Or better anyway. You wouldn't believe the amount of algae from the cycle that I have. :D But, my new snails and hermits will take care of it. I'm very pleased with the order so far, and I hope they all do well.

dacia

Air pump on, the slow drip has begun!
I just have to keep my nosy cat away from my bucket full of snails, crabs, conchs, and a nudibranch. :D
Later on I'm off to the LFS for some feather dusters (I wanted to personally pick out which ones of those to bring home.)
I'm really excited that I finally have some critters for my new reef. It has been setup for 2 months, and with the spagetti macros' help, the levels are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 10 nitrate, pH 8.2, specific gravity 1.023 with the temp steady around 80. It's been like that for 2 weeks now. Maybe in a month or so I will introduce my new fish. Maybe a sixline wrasse, firefish goby or a pair of clowns? It's a 30 gallon soon-to-be reef.

dacia

Well, all the cleaners have been released into the tank. I think that *most* are doing well. The lettuce nudibranch isn't moving at all. Should I give it some time, or is he a goner? :(

dacia

Gee, I feel like I am having a conversation with myself here. :rolleyes:
I'm really amazed at how fast those snails are eating all the algae that was on the glass, sand, and rock in my tank. They have devoured a lot of it already. Maybe in a week or so it will look like a tank again? Who knows. I'm really pleased with my order though. My emerald crab is hiding from me in a LR cave, but that's OK. He looks happy anyway. Well, I'm off to my LFS to complete the cleaning crew (cleaner shrimps are cheaper here and I want some dusters as well).
I will post pictures hopefully next week of my new future-reef. I am just so excited that something other than bacteria and algae now resides in it! :D :D :D

effishient

What kind of crabs/snails did you get and how many would you recommend for a 55 gal to keep my sandbed clean?
matt

effishient

Thanks for the recommendation... I know that adding too many fish/creatures at once can be bad due to drastically increased loads on the tank. For my first batch of fish, I just wanted to get two or three percula clowns. Would it be too much to also get part or all of my cleaning crew at the same time or should I get one group or the other first?
matt