swf.com's refractometer

renogaw

any experience with the refractometer that's on sale for $40? it seems... basic.. no calibration needed? seems odd.

maeistero

just buy it already.
you know you want one.
did you calibrate your hydrometer this morning?
actually it probably doesn't work. swfdot endorses non-working items. wait, that actually wasn't ever proved.

/mine works perfectly fine, 1yr now

briandg

It works great, it's just pre calibrated. If it gets out of whack, you can always recalibrate it. Great item, had mine for a year w/no problems.

azreefgirl

Mine works great! I'm not sure who translated the instruction manual (it obviously was not somebody fluent in the English language), but the refractometer is a fabulous piece of equipment!

yerboy

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
Mine works great! I'm not sure who translated the instruction manual (it obviously was not somebody fluent in the English language), but the refractometer is a fabulous piece of equipment!
Hey at least yours came with a instruction manual, the one i ordered didn't come with anything!!

earlybird

Originally Posted by renogaw
any experience with the refractometer that's on sale for $40? it seems... basic.. no calibration needed? seems odd.
You sure there's "no calibration needed?" All I read is that there is no screwdriver needed to calibrate. Instead there's a knob.

renogaw

Originally Posted by earlybird
You sure there's "no calibration needed?" All I read is that there is no screwdriver needed to calibrate. Instead there's a knob.

ahh, misread it. thanks. that was what was holding me up.

earlybird

np... I don't have one yet either. I've read a little on refractometers and the thing that seems like a PITA to me is that they need to be calibrated at 65 degrees. What the....? So I have to run my AC until room temp is 65? Seems crazy.

briandg

np... I don't have one yet either. I've read a little on refractometers and the thing that seems like a PITA to me is that they need to be calibrated at 65 degrees. What the....? So I have to run my AC until room temp is 65? Seems crazy.
Why not just cool the water in the fridge to 65? LOL, guess I was a little slow on posting :)

renogaw

order placed :) too bad they don't ship live goods and dry goods together, my order would have been more.

sepulatian

No, it is pre-calibrated. I bought one not that long ago and double checked it against a friends. It was dead on.

cam78

I got one online for $24.99 online that is an ATC. Funny this is brought up though, I just posted something about it right before this post. If you want to know who I got it from let me know, I will email you the link.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Yep, excellent refractometer. I am going to be buying one, as I just broke the one I had for 5 years.
Nice :hilarious

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Nice :hilarious
Yep, I dropped it outside because I was trying to carry too much at once! Needless to say, I was angry.

I had my Ipod in the other hand though, so I had to protect which was more important.