Swf Needs Mobile App!!!!

asharp13

Reply to this post if you'd like SWF to create some type of mobile forum application for all of us who can't get enough of this site!!!!!
Let's rack up the votes and make it happen!!!!!

nissan577

it sure is. but many people are able to get on it by there ipod touch, iphone, and blackberry. so i guess thats why they dont do it

U

usirchchris

Hmm, what's a mobile app?...I get the general idea that it would involve the site, and a cell phone, but what does it do?...or how is it different?

bms

I think that would be awesome!
Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3123794
it sure is. but many people are able to get on it by there ipod touch, iphone, and blackberry. so i guess thats why they dont do it
True, but there are tons of other apps for websites out there that work perfectly fine on these phones and have apps for the iPhone and im sure other phones. i for example have an e bay app, a couple google apps, an xBox microsoft website app, wikipedia app, just to name a few. i know there are tons of other apps out there too.
As for what could they do: Forum browsing, Logging in and viewing/replying to messages, Starting new threads/replying to theads, Maybe even a viewable/downloadable picture gallery or secure way to buy fish and products right from your phone on the go...the way more and more people are starting to live their lives. I know so many people that "play" on there phones on there downtime because theyre just as good as computers. Heck i even manage my bank accounts, pay bills, and everything i could do from my computer right on my iPhone. There are so many possibilities they could do.

caspervtx

Originally Posted by bms
http:///forum/post/3127607
True, but there are tons of other apps for websites out there that work perfectly fine on these phones and have apps for the iPhone and im sure other phones.
While there is a cost involved on SWF side (unless they give access to the API running the site) the LARGEST plus is an app styled for and catering to the mobile phone experience.
True you can use the built in browser and access SWF (and other sites) - but imagine the screen you are now looking at shrunk down to a 3" - 4" screen and imagine trying to get a warm experience from that. The iPhone (and others) are not substitutes for your computer monitor. Websites designed for a standard monitor are clunky at best on a mobile device.
Personally I'd love to have an app while browsing a LFS. Their price compared to SWF - even with shipping provides an on the spot comparison and might very well drive some business to SWF.

bms

Originally Posted by CasperVTX
http:///forum/post/3127612
True you can use the built in browser and access SWF (and other sites) - but imagine the screen you are now looking at shrunk down to a 3" - 4" screen and imagine trying to get a warm experience from that. The iPhone (and others) are not substitutes for your computer monitor. Websites designed for a standard monitor are clunky at best on a mobile device.
actually thats not quite true. while its not a complete substitute for a home computer it makes for a pretty good competition with all the colors you would get at home on a normal computer screen. with the iPhone you can zoom in with the pinch of a finger and the screen will resize to make a very pleasant viewing experience. not to mention you can zoom in extremely far to see all the detail on any pictures. plus the apps are actually designed to be fit to the screen so that there is no need for zooming. this is the same case with mobile web pages. they are designed to be used on your phone so they are the proper size for reading and interacting with.

caspervtx

Originally Posted by bms
http:///forum/post/3128178
actually thats not quite true. while its not a complete substitute for a home computer it makes for a pretty good competition with all the colors you would get at home on a normal computer screen. with the iPhone you can zoom in with the pinch of a finger and the screen will resize to make a very pleasant viewing experience. not to mention you can zoom in extremely far to see all the detail on any pictures. plus the apps are actually designed to be fit to the screen so that there is no need for zooming. this is the same case with mobile web pages. they are designed to be used on your phone so they are the proper size for reading and interacting with.
Could be I'm just showing my age
Personally I have an iphone and use it for web browsing. But when it comes to "reading" a web site I don't like it for a sit down event. Sporadic look ups sure. But when I use iphone apps that "replace" the web (such as the bay, or USA Today, etc) I find that the experience is much easier on my eyes and I can see MORE of something without haveing to scroll all around.
Its personal satisfaction. But IMO only, the expsoure of an iphone app (or blackberry or Palm) coupled with computer shopping could lend itself to off setting any cost of getting the app built.
Besides its just down right cool

bms

Originally Posted by CasperVTX
http:///forum/post/3128456
when I use iphone apps that "replace" the web (such as the bay, or USA Today, etc) I find that the experience is much easier on my eyes and I can see MORE of something without haveing to scroll all around.
Besides its just down right cool

I couldnt agree more. Even though the iPhone and im sure other phones are fully functional on websites like this and others, having an app for the website it is awesome. It makes it much easier to read and browse and you dont have to resize or pan around.

A

arlene1995

I too have a few different apps on my phone that are for different websites and it's definitely better on the app especially since there is no need to zoom. I visit SWF on my phone A LOT, but I still think that it would be better to have an app... even if it were strictly the forums at the start since it is all optimized for the phone itself... just my two cents!