SWF purchase of 40+ polyps

rdub62

I finally cycled my tank, wanted to start off with something fairly hardy / simple to care for.
Ordered the 40+ polyps, which to my surprise I counted well over 100 before I stopped. looks like 2-3 different colors.
My question is...
In the morning my MH comes on, the polyps are open and look healthy, about 3-4 hours all the zoas on the top of the rock close up.
Does this somewhat indicate that they are too high up in the tank?
I just lowered them about 3 1/2 inches to see if that would help at all.
Tank is 24" H, I have 705w MHT5 HO fixture. I'll attach some pictures, notice that the ones on the underside, sides are more open throughout the day but on top are closed up for the most part. And now that I look again it's mostly the redish orange ones that are open, all of the green are closed and majority of the blues on the back side that I can't get a picture of are closed? Does color have anything to do with it?

flower

Congratulations on your first coral.
Have you tested your water quality? Polyps get used to all kinds of spots in the tank, if it opened it should be happy in that spot.
What makes a coral close up?....
Too much water current
High nitrates or other water quality issues
Crawling critters
Not enough light
Too much light (bleaching is caused as well)
New owner putzing with them too much
Feeding (corals grab food and close up to eat)
Sufficating from algae or cyano

rdub62

All of my parameters are perfect. Nitrates, Trites included.
Have no inverts, so no crawling done.
I know I have sufficient lighting, Possibly too much.
I will move the rock a little farther away from the flow and see if that helps at all.
Thanks for that tip.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub62 http:///forum/thread/385567/swf-purchase-of-40-polyps#post_3381844
All of my parameters are perfect. Nitrates, Trites included.
Have no inverts, so no crawling done.
I know I have sufficient lighting, Possibly too much.
I will move the rock a little farther away from the flow and see if that helps at all.
Thanks for that tip.
Was the coral being blown around? Was it all blown to one side? That would be too high of water flow.
Sometimes it takes a while for a new coral to adapt. Place it and leave it alone a few days. Everytime you putz with it, it thinks it's under attack. If it has not opened after 3 days then you can feel concerned, since it does open early in the day I wouldn't worry too much.

rdub62

Will do. :D
Ignorance makes for mistakes.
Also can anyone ID the purple organism in the top left corner?
It came on the rock, looks like a sponge, it is soft, and also growing in other places around the polyps / rock, any chance it poses a threat?
My first thought was that it was just a sponge, and a good thing, then noticing it had grown on the underside where there was no light reaching, and sponges need light from my experience...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub62 http:///forum/thread/385567/swf-purchase-of-40-polyps#post_3381850
Will do. :D
Ignorance makes for mistakes.
Also can anyone ID the purple organism in the top left corner?
It came on the rock, looks like a sponge, it is soft, and also growing in other places around the polyps / rock, any chance it poses a threat?
My first thought was that it was just a sponge, and a good thing, then noticing it had grown on the underside where there was no light reaching, and sponges need light from my experience...
Most likely it is more polyps, they grow on a soft purple mat.
Just so you know..Sponges absolutly need no light. In fact they must stay out of the light or algae clogs them up and they die. The need high water flow and lots of food...never allow any sponge to be out of water, not even for a moment.

spanko

All I could think of was The Shining and REDRUM REDRUM!
But homotrema rubrum does sound a bit like something you might pay for in Cancun!!!

flower

All the happy giggles and you guys lefts us both in the dark....
My GSPs are on a soft purple mat. Did I give bad advice?
I googled Homotrema rubrum...it is red not purple.

spanko

Don't get hung up on the color look at the picture he posted. You will see the foram growing on the upper left side of the picture. I don't believe he is talking about the mat, but the growth coming out.

spanko

Totally cool little critters that normally don't last long in our tanks. That is probably as big as he'll see it get if all goes as it normally does.