Swimming Pool to an Aquarium

thenewfish

I think this is the coolest idea ever. To start with the most recent post... not that it is inconceivable but probably around retirement time is you make a paradise in your backyard you are not going to worry about resale value cause you are going to live out your retirement there. I believe the running of water through a freezer chest of some sorts would take care of your cooling problems.... How are you testing the temperature, I would gues even if the top of the pool gets into the 90s and higher the deeper water would not be that warm.... I do not live in a HOT place so I could be off but here the shallow end is always warmer than the Deep end.... If it begins to get too hot for a few days the animals instinct will make them go to where the temp is correct.
Inital stocking and set up will cost a fortune however I would believe monthly maintenance would be reasonable.... probably not as cheap as a pool but not thousands a month.

reef diver

I have an idea to get a grant, though you may not like having a few hundred kids walk through your backyard every year. I when i was in elementary scholl took a trip to a guys swimming pool in buena vista colorado, where the temperature swings should be about the same as in texas, and my school gave him, well paid him a 20,000 dollar donation. Several schools around the state went to see this one. There are a few people on here with pool aquariums look them up. Also trya talking to requiem, he has a 2700 gal in his basement. good luck

reef diver

OOOH nother good idea!!!! HAve diving agencies in ur town pay to use the pool to train new divers! Then you might be able to bring thousands back in, and you could talk to the man (the government)about research i9n ur pool ive heard a lot of people do that.

poniegirl

Yowzaaa!
Here is my two cents..During sunny times the water will evap, raising the SG. Then the rains come and the SG goes back to a happy #. My own lil' dinky sixty goes through it weekly.
To all things ratios and balances apply? It is engineering no matter your philosophy.

supalupa

Talk to the guys at Discovery Cove in Florida. I was just there and I was snorkeling with the fish. I was told they pressure wash the hole thing every night.

spectre879

Im posting late in the game and may be repeating previous comments but I have a lot to say. Most of it is based on simple logic.
First off, I dont know what your income is and your retirement funds and will not ask as it is rude, but the cost of set-up and maintence would be astronomical. Almost too much for one to bear alone. You could apply for a government, state, university or foundation grant. Also you could work along side with a local or state aquarium. Check out the AZA website for information and help, as well as listings of local foundations and clubs. There is a marine biology school in Galvisten which could be of help, they may be able to offer voleenter help from students which would give students an excllent oppritunity to study marine life in a large, enclosed and safe enviorement. Im sure if you prove to them that you are genouenly serious about this, they will help. I believe the school also is active with a naval academy. You will also need someone to take over once you are unable to continue maintaining the habitat (like old age, disablity or death; its an ugly thought but it needs to be considered in an undertaking such as this).
Second, filtration and maintence on water and tank repair would be a pain. All of the pool systems would need to be thorougly flushed and clean to rid them of contamintes such as chlorine and other stuff. You would need a massive RO unit as tap water heavy metals would be insane. There may be a way to get accual sea water and filter that extensively. Sea water is also acidic like. A pH of 7.8 to 8.2 has enough base content to eventually wear away at cement. (Base pH is just as bad as acid pH due to its alkilie reactive properties. Example: NaOH(l), liquid sodium-hydroxide, reacts with fat in your skin cells to create soap, wearing away at your epiderumus.) It could do the same with elements contained inside of the cement of your pool. Remember, cement is a mixture, not a compound. You would have to coat the pool in a protective substanace.
Third, the pool would have to be enclosed and seeled inside of a building or structure. Heating the structure would help with keeping the pool temperature stable. But the main purpose would be to protect form rain, which contains acid and contaminents, as well as snow, leaves, grass, trash, insects and animals ( or possibly other people!!). The structure it self could be rigged with the lighting needed for an aquarium as the default lighting system hung form the roof of the structure. You could not use the sun as a source of light since it promotes the growth of hair and slime alge, which are very unpleasent. The suns intensity varies throughout the world due to the pitch and rotation of the planet and often its effects are divesified. You could not use the sun as a good light source. Also, the structure could not be built of brick or glass, external temperature drastically effects internal temperature with these materials without insulation.
Fourth, buying everything in bulk would help to bring the cost down. See if you cant get a hold of the message boards member Requiem. He has a 2,700gallon indoor tank that he did completely on his own and claims he did everything for under $4,000. That would be alot of help. He also says that he has knowledge of the business and is interested in buying in bulk with other people. Importing in seawater would bring the cost down dramatically since you would not need as much salt, RO water and calcium additives. You would need a second isolated large tank to filter the sea water since it will be cloudy and could have some contaments. It could be illegal but i dont see why, there is so much of it that it covers 70percent of the globe.
Some may find this information useless, stupid or repeatitive but the reading in this thread is extensive. I read 3/4ths of the first page and gave up. I am mearly trying to offer some help which could be nessisary. If you find this helpful, please respond so that I know I was successful and did not waste my time writing and editing this. In the future I also would like to wish success to you in your massive undertaking. This is nothing to discourage if you are truely devoted to doing this.
:happyfish

reef diver

As I said earlier, you can always bring revenue in by alowing dive schools or marine research groups into your pool (haha) sorry i find that very amusing, but it would be very possible to that. Heres an idea, im way into science, and you could quite cheaply, use sunlight to your advantage, buy a popular science sometime and look in the ads. There is an add for a tube that allows sunlight into your house. all you have to do is basically make one yourself, or contact this company for info. You can install something like this into the roof a $2000(muy cheapo) greenhouse or controlled environment, and add light filters that screen red light, or the light that sponsores algae growth, and it would save you loads on electricity and lighting costs, while having a relatively low cost for the spread out of time you would have this gigantic aquarium, will regulating temperature, lighting, and access. Meanwhile you could grow plants in here to make it look nice, and have an oxygen replacement mechanism so ur fish dont die. See thereis an economical way to everything. On the note of live rock costs, you can always use a pvc frame covered with live rock, to make it locost an nice looking, and stuff the inside with sponges for bio filtrtion. Also, with a system that big, i believe it is possible to have it almost fend for itself because of the biodiversity. Aside from adding nutrients. And trace elements. By the way the covering that should be between the pool water and the cement prevents major basic or acidic damage. Just my 2 cents NAd yes that sunlight intaker is very feasible, and you could add solar panels to help run your equipment.

spectre879

ReefDiver makes some good points with the filtered light and solar panel. But the system could not run on its own. Remember, its still just a enclosed enviorment. Sponge, live rock and sand and other living filters could never handle the system alone as they do not filter as much as you think. To measure their filtering effects you would need to measure them in gallons per day, not gph. In the ocean, there is plenty of water to go around and most toxins and harmful compounds are quickly dispersed in the surrounding water. A pool still would not be big enough.

reef diver

I agree, just curious though, solar panels couls i believe heat your water enough during the winter, and then in the summer, run chillers/filters/powerheads in the summer, when there is a lot of extra light, this could cut down your energy bill, as would my greenhouse for temperature consistency, and my filtered sunlight. Also, this filtered sunlight would probly provide better lighting, than a lighting system, you can put more lightinto there, by adding multiple of these with fiber optics, this is also a way to allow certain places of the aquarium to have stronger light. However, you may need to have the light filters specially made, meaning they take out only the bad, and none of the good. Back to my topic of certain strong areas of light, like over a strong light anemone, and the main light transfer doesnt cut it, you could have strands of those fibers, meaning like a batch of 100(they are very fine fibers) go to a lighting fixture that dangles above the aquarium. However that may be too strong, as you are actually using sunlight. Also, you would not have to worry about UV radiation because glass is not tranparent to UV. The cost on this is quite low(meaning lighting, and temperature control) as long as you make sure you are finding the right stuff. because with electricity, you would have the problem of replacing 20-30 bulbs per year and an already massive electricity bill for something like this made about triple, and not to mention the lighting fixtures themselves. I know some of you may say:what about on a cloudy day? well fish in the ocean get cloudy days too don't they!However, i do have ideas for a good food chain establishment, and maintenance, however, i will ajourn for now. IM A GEEK IF YOU HAVENT NOTICED! yes i did call myself that. I am proud to be a geek.

shinok4

hey gourmet lady, this is offtopic but i live in Texas and am actually thinking about taking a trip down to teh ocean this summer and having a scuba instructor or someone take me out and teach me how to scuba dive... ya its weird finding u online and asking if ud be willing to do this... u can e-mail me if ya want. shinok4@hotmail.com and if you feel uncomfortable about it or anything and dont wanna do it, no worries, i completely understand

livephish

i was actually thinking about doing this too. i was going to use a 20000gal above ground fiber glass pool, i was thinking about cutting out sections and installing glass for viewing around the bottom and sides. i was going to use a greenhouse to house it, with the solar panels to power the electricity. unfortunately solar panels to power this type of housing would cost about $7000 for the setup, which isn't too bad considering electricity cost and power outages. concrete would be used for the base of the structure, about 40x40, the center would be elevated about 2 feet for a 20x20 foot base for the pool to sit on, around the top, a custom built deck would have to be erected. as for filtration, water, and lighting i haven't gotten that far yet, it all came in a dream one night, but it will happen!!!!! i am 26 now, i plan to have it by the time i am 40!!!! 14 years to draw up the plans and collect all the funds. i expect to spend around $200,000 for the setup, with monthly spennding of $3000-5000 for maintance

fishwanabe

the post above had one of the same ideas i did, if its possible you could dig out a cave on one side of the pool and install veiwing circles and or windows...then charge to come and see it. ***)

David Jones

Many on this site are thinking about coral seas aquaria. Ever thought about a littoral tank/colder water?. The littoral zone species are very hardy taking a large range of temperatures and salt concentrations. A large range of species can make the large tank a small eco system. I made a large seawater aquarium with hundreds of species from coelentrates molluscs algae and fish. Just topped up with fresh (de chlorinated water) from time to time (over the years) . Didnt swim in it though. Problem with warm water is the O2 going down. Keeping darker controls the algae but get algae eating species in. As many different species animals and plant as you can get
North East and North West are good ecosystems and there are cold water corals in fact.

geridoc

Water quality should not be an issue. As the OP noted, his population density will be quite low. I would recommend that the spa that waterfalls into the pool incorporate a large algae scrubber - then he won't have to worry about algal growth, and the macroalgae will go a long way towards producing high quality water conditions. It might be worthwhile to measure a variety of trace elements that might have to be replaced over time since the frequency of water changes should be low.

flower

Hi,

Anything is doable, if you want to spend the cash for it. I do recall a member some time ago having a good sized swimming pool in the garage for his shark. People do saltwater pools all the time.

As for an in ground outside pool...some possible problems: Rain water is not very clean and hard to regulate how much at each rainfall, wild critters getting in it and dying because it's saltwater, leaves and other debris blowing into it, neighbors peeing in the thing if they go swimming in it (invited or not) and you wouldn't really be able to see your critters, unless you go diving into it...then your own body (shampoos, lotions and deodorants), creates another problem of contaminates. When it comes to keeping ocean critters, a swimming pool is still a tiny tank in comparison.

I just noticed the "filter bed" part. Would that be like an under gravel kind of thing? Under gravel is the only filter system not suitable for a SW tank. The water fall as an algae scrubber is a great idea, but wouldn't that require it be cleaned once a week to maintain it?