Switched from CC to DSB/Keeping fingers crossed

cgr

Well, I finally did it. I searched every where for South Down sand and couldn't find it, so I took a risk and bought play sand from Toys R US at $4.99 for 50#. I cut a piece of 5" wide board to fit snuggly in the bottom of my tank dividing it in half. I then removed the CC from half a tank with a fish net and syphoned the bottom(all my fished waited patiently on the ohter side). I then added 125# of sand right out of the bags to the one side. I was surprised the water was not as cloudy as I expected. In about eight hours is crystal clear. Waited one week and repeated the process on the other side. I then removed the piece of wood which, by the way, served me as a measuring devise for the depth of the sand 4 3/4". I topped the sand with a 25# bag of live sand which I spread over the entire tank. So far so good!!! No fish losses.
120 Gal FOWLR
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin tang
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
1 tomato clown
1 sleeper gobie
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 sandsifter star
snails, blue and scarlet legged hermits
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.024

eden

CGR - Congrats on your switch! I am going to do it too as soon as I can find suitable sand. Anyway, what kind of filtration do you have on your tank? Thanks, Eden

cgr

I have a wet/dry filter with bioballs. I ave no idea what to expect after a few monts of the DSB but according to what I have read here, it should help with my water quality as well.