Switching aquariums

ajroc31

Today I purchased a 250 acrylic. It was cheap, $1350 for the tank, 3 400w MH lights, 70 gal sump, new RO unit, stand and canopy, some live stock, and about 50 lbs of live rock, plumbing and an oversized return pump. I could not pass it up. Not a big fan of 30 inch tall tanks, but it will do, just could not pass it up. Poor guy lost electricity, and most of the things just did not make it. Frustrated, he sold it. I want to take down my 125 and set the new one up, problem is, I really need or rather want to use the same spot as the 125 is sitting in. Is it possible to do a switch within 48 hrs or so, or the danger is too great to my life stock? I have no idea how to do it, and not sure if there are any major draw backs, or if there are any advantages. Perhaps someone has done that before. I already have about 125-150 lbs of live rock in my tank. His tank has lots of sand, but its kind of dirty, don't really want to use it. If I do the switch, is there a possibilty of a cycle, or will my live rock keep the tank stable? Should I use my water, or add all new water? I really do not have idea, please help before I do something stupid.

gill again68

I would think, really havent done it, that you would have to use the water in your tank. Not knowing the parameters of the tank you purchased and with the electricity failure you may want to not place any of that rock in at first. That way you dont introduce a problem from that tank into your stuff. I would treat everything in the tank you purchased with a QT method. You may have to purchase some containers for the LR and Fish and such. Now with all that said I would think that you could clean the new tank really well and then start transferring your stock and water over. Please get some more opinions on this but those things come to mind for me.

flower

Originally Posted by ajroc31
http:///forum/post/3298281
Today I purchased a 250 acrylic. It was cheap, $1350 for the tank, 3 400w MH lights, 70 gal sump, new RO unit, stand and canopy, some live stock, and about 50 lbs of live rock, plumbing and an oversized return pump. I could not pass it up. Not a big fan of 30 inch tall tanks, but it will do, just could not pass it up. Poor guy lost electricity, and most of the things just did not make it. Frustrated, he sold it. I want to take down my 125 and set the new one up, problem is, I really need or rather want to use the same spot as the 125 is sitting in. Is it possible to do a switch within 48 hrs or so, or the danger is too great to my life stock? I have no idea how to do it, and not sure if there are any major draw backs, or if there are any advantages. Perhaps someone has done that before. I already have about 125-150 lbs of live rock in my tank. His tank has lots of sand, but its kind of dirty, don't really want to use it. If I do the switch, is there a possibilty of a cycle, or will my live rock keep the tank stable? Should I use my water, or add all new water? I really do not have idea, please help before I do something stupid.

First… congratulations!
This tanks rock has to have some die off…with the electricity out and stuff died enough for the guy to just sell it. So I would assume a cycle is inevitable.
What I personally would do…this is just my way, not necessarily the best way.
Put the new rock in tubs with a power head to cycle
Clean up the new tank really well.
Put your critters in tubs
Transfer everything from YOUR already established tank along with enough new saltwater to fill it and buy some more sand, your sand will seed the new stuff. Don’t add anything from the other guy yet.
Clean up in freshwater and let air dry filter hoses and such before you use any of that stuff.
In a few weeks once you are sure the new rock is cycled….take out your fish and rock…put your fish in tubs for a little time and add all the rock the way you want it and add your livestock back in once it is set up. Move the sand to one side so the rock is stable on the bottom as you go.
Hope this gives you an idea of what you may want to do.

ajroc31

Thanks for suggestions already given, and to anyone who might want to contribute further. I really appreaciate all of it. Thank you Flower, sounds pretty solid, I have two weeks before I pick the thing up, so it gives me enough time to really prepare myself for this. I assume it will be a monster job, but to keep my "fish room" ( basement, only place my better half will allow me to do anything fish related) looking organized and not cluttered, I want to use the same spot. I will take his live rock, and throw in tubs, lets it sit there, its a great idea. Some corals survived, still attached to the rocks, zoos, buttons, things like that. Some lethers are also there, but they look like crap, not sure if I should just cut them off, kind a cruel, but looking at them, it just does not seem like they will make it. Do you think I should keep my critters and fish out of the new tank for few weeks? I have an old 120 in my moms garage (got to love moms), maybe I could use that, I don't trust heaters and tubs.

flower

http:///forum/post/3298336
Thanks for suggestions already given, and to anyone who might want to contribute further. I really appreaciate all of it. Thank you Flower, sounds pretty solid, I have two weeks before I pick the thing up, so it gives me enough time to really prepare myself for this. I assume it will be a monster job, but to keep my "fish room" ( basement, only place my better half will allow me to do anything fish related) looking organized and not cluttered, I want to use the same spot. I will take his live rock, and throw in tubs, lets it sit there, its a great idea. Some corals survived, still attached to the rocks, zoos, buttons, things like that. Some lethers are also there, but they look like crap, not sure if I should just cut them off, kind a cruel, but looking at them, it just does not seem like they will make it. Do you think I should keep my critters and fish out of the new tank for few weeks? I have an old 120 in my moms garage (got to love moms), maybe I could use that, I don't trust heaters and tubs.

If you use my plan the fish would only be in the tub a few hours at the most wouldn’t they? Just long enough to switch tanks, add the sand and water and what rock you have in the old tank.
It just comes to a large water change…
UNLESS you have a deep sand bed and no sand sifter. An undisturbed sand bed could cause problems if it gets stirred up..so advise me on that before we go any further with a plan. I always had a sand sifter goby so nothing was left unturned in my sand, so I hadn’t considered this until this moment...

btldreef

I have done this. I went from a 40G to a 155G, put the tank in the same spot and moved everything over in less than 36hrs. It takes some careful planning, but it absolutely can be done, and more sure you have plenty of RO water on hand, because there is almost always a spike. I suggest Prime or something similar and RO water.
We were, however, using the same sump and pump set up when we moved tanks, which was a huge help, but new sand and the sand from the 40G got mixed together and dumped in the 155.
Good luck

flower

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3298434
I have done this. I went from a 40G to a 155G, put the tank in the same spot and moved everything over in less than 36hrs. It takes some careful planning, but it absolutely can be done, and more sure you have plenty of RO water on hand, because there is almost always a spike. I suggest Prime or something similar and RO water.
We were, however, using the same sump and pump set up when we moved tanks, which was a huge help, but new sand and the sand from the 40G got mixed together and dumped in the 155.
Good luck

What caused the spike? I ask because I'm concerned about stirring up the sand bed.
I moved and reset my tank up 3Xs and not once had a spike. Adding new saltwater is equal to a big water change, I upgraded on one of those moves from 75g to a 90g. Stirring up the sand is the only thing I'm unsure of.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3298516

What caused the spike? I ask because I'm concerned about stirring up the sand bed.
I moved and reset my tank up 3Xs and not once had a spike. Adding new saltwater is equal to a big water change, I upgraded on one of those moves from 75g to a 90g. Stirring up the sand is the only thing I'm unsure of.
The stirring of the sand bed could cause a spike. It did not in mine. And I just took all the LR and sand out of my 14G and added it to the refugium on the 155G and also did not get a spike, but it happens very frequently when people try to move things from one tank to another.

flower

http:///forum/post/3298527
The stirring of the sand bed could cause a spike. It did not in mine. And I just took all the LR and sand out of my 14G and added it to the refugium on the 155G and also did not get a spike, but it happens very frequently when people try to move things from one tank to another.

So messing with the sand could be an issue...any idea how to remedy that?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3298562

So messing with the sand could be an issue...any idea how to remedy that?
Not really sure because I've done it and not had an issue. I've also ran the skimmer wetter (makes it work harder) double up on carbon and purigen and add in some extra filter floss when I need to disrupt the sand bed and done massive water changes for the following 2-3 days just to be sure, so maybe just being proactive helped?

ajroc31

http:///forum/post/3298388

If you use my plan the fish would only be in the tub a few hours at the most wouldn’t they? Just long enough to switch tanks, add the sand and water and what rock you have in the old tank.
It just comes to a large water change…
UNLESS you have a deep sand bed and no sand sifter. An undisturbed sand bed could cause problems if it gets stirred up..so advise me on that before we go any further with a plan. I always had a sand sifter goby so nothing was left unturned in my sand, so I hadn’t considered this until this moment...
I would say that about 1/2 of the sand in that tank, the first two inches should be ok because of vacuuming. But yeah,I was a bit reluctant to use all the sand. Should I use some of his sand, lets say top two inches, and just wash it out a bit?

ajroc31

http:///forum/post/3298576
Not really sure because I've done it and not had an issue. I've also ran the skimmer wetter (makes it work harder) double up on carbon and purigen and add in some extra filter floss when I need to disrupt the sand bed and done massive water changes for the following 2-3 days just to be sure, so maybe just being proactive helped?
Here is the plan, the get new tank ready, stain it, buff it and so on.
1. Starting today, I will bring in some of the live rock and put it in my tank, only pieces with corals on it. The other live rock, i will put it in a tote, let it sit there. Do I need a heater for it? I know a powerhead will work.
2. Every three days or so, I will take 20 gal of water from my 125, and store it, meanwhile I will start preparing saltwater for the new tank. Same salt and parameters of course.
3. Once I have enough water, I will start taking down the old tank. Take the lr out, put in totes with a ph and a heater, should I put the corals with the lr? Some of them are attached, so its a no brainer there.
4. Drain most of the water 125 so that I could catch the fish easier, put them in totes with lr, ph, heater. (store the water)
5. Replace the tanks, will my refugium be ok without a heater for 24 hrs or so?
6. Take the top 2 inches of my sand, his sand (washed a little bit in RO, or saltwater?) and add 2 40lbs bags or new sand? Or should I try to get all my sand out?
7. Put some of my water into the tank, add lr ( will not add the lr with corals just yet, and do some scaping.
8. Add more water, take my fuge, and add his fuge (terribly designed, need to make some corrections, does not fully utilize its size).
9. Wait to stabilize the tank, test it every 3 hrs or so, and slowly start adding remaining corals, and fish.
Did I miss anything? Please let me know how the steps look. I really want this to be as perfect as possible. He has a canister filter, should I run it for the time being? You think its safe with the die off he had? Should I leave the filter permamently?
Should I add some kick start bacteria?
Should I add some anti-ammonia media? He has given me so many filter pads, the aqua-pure brand, but i am reluctant to put any of this in. I am not sure, but does that anti-ammonia kind of gets in the way of establishing of a healthy bio filter?
Would this be a good idea to introduce another tang? I have a regal, brown, cholocate, yellow, all relatively small for tangs, they get along fine, would adding a Kole be too much? Its a 30 inch tall 250.
Should I buy some sand sifting fish now, to help me prepare the sand before the move?
Sorry guys for all this, I really appreciate all your help, but you know how crappy it feels to lose something because of something you did, or did not do.
One last thing, would 8X80 wat t5s be sufficent for a tank this tall, or do I have to go with MHs, I have 3 400s, but thats a lot of heat, and I really dont want to fork up more money for a chiller. My basement is really cold, but I am still worried, the 400s are monsters. I have mostly softies, some lps liek hammer, torch and frogspawn, some acans, a duncan,, only thing i am concerned about is my montipora and 2 chalice corals ( no idea what they are, all I get in lfs "there are so many, I dont know what they are"). I dont want to go very high with scaping, would love to have all that open water for them to swim in, they are tangs after all.
Again, thank you so much, for all your input, you guys rock!

ajroc31

Ok, one last thing, in his fuge he has bio balls, I was thinking for now, I should keep them there, just so that I could have extra bio filtration to prevent any spikes. He also gave me lots of Jungle Ammonia Clear tablets, I guess is there is an ammonia spike, I will consider using them. Good idea?

flower

http:///forum/post/3298957
Here is the plan, the get new tank ready, stain it, buff it and so on.
1. Starting today, I will bring in some of the live rock and put it in my tank, only pieces with corals on it. The other live rock, i will put it in a tote, let it sit there. Do I need a heater for it? I know a powerhead will work. (no need to heat it unless it gets down past 75)2. Every three days or so, I will take 20 gal of water from my 125, and store it, meanwhile I will start preparing saltwater for the new tank. Same salt and parameters of course. (not necessary)
3. Once I have enough water, I will start taking down the old tank. Take the lr out, put in totes with a ph and a heater, should I put the corals with the lr? Some of them are attached, so its a no brainer there. (no, put rocks w/corals to themselves...coral shrink up and it's hard enough to find them on rocks...or you will be hunting for them and may miss some)
4. Drain most of the water 125 so that I could catch the fish easier, put them in totes with lr, ph, heater. (store the water)
5. Replace the tanks, will my refugium be ok without a heater for 24 hrs or so? (yes as long as it does not get too cold, below 75)
6. Take the top 2 inches of my sand, his sand (washed a little bit in RO, or saltwater?) and add 2 40lbs bags or new sand? Or should I try to get all my sand out? (rinse sand in saltwater if you must, it has good bacteria in it.)
7. Put some of my water into the tank, add lr ( will not add the lr with corals just yet, and do some scaping.
8. Add more water, take my fuge, and add his fuge (terribly designed, need to make some corrections, does not fully utilize its size).
9. Wait to stabilize the tank, test it every 3 hrs or so, and slowly start adding remaining corals, and fish.
Did I miss anything? Please let me know how the steps look. I really want this to be as perfect as possible. He has a canister filter, should I run it for the time being? You think its safe with the die off he had? Should I leave the filter permamently? (no)
Should I add some kick start bacteria? (won't hurt)
Should I add some anti-ammonia media? He has given me so many filter pads, the aqua-pure brand, but i am reluctant to put any of this in. I am not sure, but does that anti-ammonia kind of gets in the way of establishing of a healthy bio filter?

Would this be a good idea to introduce another tang? I have a regal, brown, cholocate, yellow, all relatively small for tangs, they get along fine, would adding a Kole be too much? Its a 30 inch tall 250.

Should I buy some sand sifting fish now, to help me prepare the sand before the move? (one good sized sand sifting goby is all you would need)
Sorry guys for all this, I really appreciate all your help, but you know how crappy it feels to lose something because of something you did, or did not do.
One last thing, would 8X80 wat t5s be sufficent for a tank this tall, or do I have to go with MHs, I have 3 400s, but thats a lot of heat, and I really dont want to fork up more money for a chiller. My basement is really cold, but I am still worried, the 400s are monsters. I have mostly softies, some lps liek hammer, torch and frogspawn, some acans, a duncan,, only thing i am concerned about is my montipora and 2 chalice corals ( no idea what they are, all I get in lfs "there are so many, I dont know what they are"). I dont want to go very high with scaping, would love to have all that open water for them to swim in, they are tangs after all.

Again, thank you so much, for all your input, you guys rock!

I think you should mix new saltwater, very little bacteria is in the actual water and storing it could create more problems. When you do the actual change save some of that water…Make more water than you will need in case an emergency water change should come up. I made some comments at the end of your questions, many I couldn’t answer. Sorry, I don't know about the bio balls either.

btldreef

Flower nailed almost everything.
Personally, I would try to keep the parameters the same, just for my own peace of mind, but it probably doesn't matter much.
At this time of year, you usually don't have to worry about keeping a heater in your tank or buckets when moving things, unless it's going to be in a room that goes under 75 degrees and even one night, won't kill most things.
As for the lighting,
If you're not planning on keeping SPS, the T5 set up should be fine. I would run the MH's, because you may find that your tank will be too cold, especially in the winter if it's in the basement... Why not give 'em a shot for a few days, if they run too hot, put the T5's on.
IMO, the Kole should be okay, but that's a lot of tangs in one tank, and could be stressful to the bioload, what other fish do you have in there.
One sand sifting fish is more than enough, I highly recommend the Sleeper Banded Bullet (aka Dragon) goby, or the Diamond Goby. That and nassarius snails and you should be set.
Good luck.

ajroc31

I was think about the Kole a bit, and I agree with you. It would be a bit crowded. I also have a Copperbend, mandrin goby, Royal Gramme, Sixline, Lawnmower goby, tail spot goby, Chalk Basslet, and a Camel Cowfish, and two Oceallaris, so, yeah, it would be crowded, after all I am upgrading so that the fish would have more room to swim in. Currently I have 4x80 T5s, I assume that's not enough, so I would have to upgrade to 6 or 8. I am afraid that that the MHO will be way too close to the tank, and destroy the top acrylic. But, I will give it a try.