Switching from Salt water fish to Reef

haus

I have a 55 Gallon Fish tank with live rock I want to switch to a Fish with reef tank. I only have a maroon clown,foxface (Rabbit fish), and a spotted hawk in there now. I know that the Spotted hawk will have to go. I was wondering what kind of Lighting everyboby thinks would be best. i would like to keep softies and sps. Right now I have power compacts on it 2 bulbs 65 watts I beleive. Thanks for your help

nycbob

i assume the tank has never use copper b4, since copper will kill inverts and corals. the best lights for sps r mh or t5 with individual reflectors. a reef tank will also need calcium level of 400-450 with alk of 8-12. ammonia, nitrite and nitrate hv to be 0. u will also need better flow with extra powerheads.

haus

They have them T5 light with 4 with 54 watts kits on sale is that enough oh yea never used copper before

stanlalee

you can run two 150w HQI (or two 175w SE) or as little as 4x54w T5 with individual reflectors: TEK 4 bulb fixture, Aquactinics T5 5 bulb fixture or Current Nova Extreme "Pro" are some T5 fixtures that will get the job done. Any twin bulb MH fixture will work (48" sunpod probably the cheapest name brand).
I dont see why you would get rid of the hawkfish, He will not harm a single coral except for perching on them and is a fairly common reef fish. I wouldn't remove a single fish (your foxface actually has a greater chance of nipping corals then the Hawkfish and will get too big or the tank). You just have to use snails too large to eat and keep it fed. I and many wont put hermits or any crabs in a reef tank and certainly arent neccessary. You could try your luck with the jumbo hermits that can probably hold their own just enough not to get eaten if you must. I think a reef tank is the only way to keep a hawkfish (the only place they habitate and feel most comfortable in).

nycbob

the one big reflector is not good. u need one with a reflector that wraps around each bulb.