switching tanks need help

catera

i am going to a 20g from a 55. im am switching my live sand from the old tank into the new one. i am also going to move enough water to fill the tank just over half then make new water like a water change and dump it in.
first i was going to put in a small amount of water then the sand and then more water with a baffle on it so i dont disturb the sand. can i just scoop my live sand out and put it into a new tank. will all that will happen is a small spike??? is this a good idea to do it this way? how long after can i put in my inhabitants?? thanks really need some quidance here.

hairtrigger

If I am not mistaken, only the top layer of the sand will contain the beneficial critters. The bottom layers is where the denitrification process happens. In turn, it is nasty and something you don't want.
I would scoop out the top layer and save it as is. Then I would take the bottom layers and rinse them thoroughly with super hot, boiling water.
After that, I would do what you have planned. Then I would put the saved layer of top sand back on top of the now rinsed off bottom layers. :cool:

B

bambalamb

Catera - just a suggestion if I may:
Now would be the absolute perfect time to add a DSB to your 55. Since your live sand is going from a 29 gal, there probably isn't enough to get the recommended depth of 4 to 6 inches. Since you are from Massachusetts, you may have access to Southdown tropical playsand sold at Home Depot. If you can't get that brand there are plenty of other alternatives. Lay down a 4 to 5 inch layer of that first, then add the top 1 inch of your existing live sand on top of that. Like HairTrigger said, that's where the beneficial critters are. If you take more than that you run the risk of getting into the nasty black stuff.
I moved a complete 29 gal reef 75 miles and cycled my 75 with it's live sand and rock without incident 2 months ago. Along with a couple shrimp it cycled in a matter of days. Still, I waited over a month to add any livestock. I got some good advice from Broomer5 when I first got on this board - do things slowly!

cb

The way I read your original post you are downsizing your tank. If this is the case I would just use the top 1/2 inch of your live sand and procede as stated and everything should be fine.If you want a deeper sand bed then that gives you I would put new dead sand in the bottom of the tank and the put you live sand on top.

shep

No cb she is upsizing.
Aside from that you will have to do a few things to get ready for this.
1. Set up tank to temporarily house all inhabitants other than hermits and snails.
2. Start adding sand to exitsing tank in small bags with holes in them. over a week or so empty them all out. Try to double the amount of sand you have. WATCH LEVELS CLOSE.
3. Mix about 55-60 gallons of water.
4. Move your existing rock into water from current tank, Just keep it wet. Its only got to stay here for a few. But have to get out to catch fish fast.
5. take water from current tank and replace set up tank water with it.
6. Catch fish move to temp tank with the just put in water. less stress on fish and you dont have to aclimate this way
7. drain the 20
8. scoop all the sand out in no great order, move it and any you want to add to the 55. I would make 3.5 inches flat and then start sloping it to the back and aqua scaping it once I got my initial volume.
9. add about 1/2 of the water and start putting in the rock...use as much of original water as possible.get everything in and turn it on.
10. check levels every 2 hours. tank should do mini cycle within 12 hours from all of this. It should not harm or kill anything on rock but I would not put corals in. As soon as you have it running you can throw in the hermits and snails.
11. Watch for cycle and slowly introduce the fish one or two a day and then corals. This will alow you to build up bacteria base without anoother cycle.
I done this with 2 55's going into a 125. The whole procees for me was a bit harder due to two tanks into one and a bit easier in a way. It was about 1 week before all the fish where put in and maybe 1.5 before all the corals got added.
I done a mini cycle about 7 hours after the change it was starting to complete it's little thing. I was worn out and said screw it and let it run until the next morning. then I started adding the fish slowly and then the corals. I used a couple of 10's to house everyone during the move.
I did not lose anything by doing this and it was a pretty fast transfer for combining two tanks. Important thing is to keep everyone as stress free as you can.

catera

actually i am downsizing if you read my first post it says switching to a 20g from a 55g. i do have a dsb in my 55g. ohh yeah im a he.

B

bambalamb

My bad - guess I'm used to people usually going to a larger tank!:)

wrassecal

Catera - long time no see. Yep, I'd just take the top inch or so from the 55. I know you can get southdown in Mass. I had mine sent down here from there. If you want a dsb in the 20, I'd do a bag ( of southdown, ( which might be called yardright or old castle now) the top inch of your existing sand, the live rock and the inhabitants. You may get a small cycle. I recently upgraded from 55 to 135 and did it all in about 3 hours. I did have a very mini cycle and went through a diatom outbreak a couple months later but all livestock was fine. I used the water from my 55 too. Be sure to aerate your new saltwater for at least 24 hours and check the Ph. Match your sg to current. I think you can do it all at once that way. Good luck and come around more often.:)

shep

I read it wrong and was very wrong sorry CB. Yea agree with taking the top and I would honestly scoop it off and use the bottom for bottom layer to get nice DSB if the top doesnt get you there. Hope the rest helps ya some.

catera

yeah ive been away. i havent been able to get on the board much. ill try to come around more! yeah i will upgrade to a larger one when i can build it into a wall and have my own place. i have kinda small apartment. some day some day!!!! thanks for all the help. i think tonight or tomorrow ill start the task.