Switchover from CC to sand?

devildog01

Hey,
Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. But I have CC right now and hate its guts. I have a ton of rock and was wondering if I would have to take it all out to put sand in. My tank is almost a year old. I was wondering if I would have to buy like Arag-alive sand or if I can just use dry sand. Will my tank have to recycle? Sorry about all the questions, and once again, thanks for any help you can give me!

vi3tb0i

yea you have to take all stuff out when you put sand in if you dont sand will be all over you lr and corals i would get sand in fish stores i dont think your tank have to recycle again

T

thomas712

You can use dry but I would pre cure it with old tank water first, this will cut the cloudiness down alot.

T

thomas712

Get yourself some dry aragonite playsand, a rubbermaid tub, heater and maybe a small powerhead. Take the dry sand and pour it in. When you do your next water change then pour the old water in the rubbermaid tub and wait a week, stir it if you like to and BAM!....Live sand.
you see it picks up a coating of bacteria that way and reduces the amount of cloudiness that you would normally see.
Thomas

see if you can find "yardright playsand" also known as 'southdown'. it is aragonite sand and you may be able to find it at your local home depot for about $5/44 lb bag/