t-5 ballasts

michaeltx

I got up this morning and my tank lights were off when they were supposed to come on they did not and I just noticed there was something wrong.. I think my ballasts went out which really sucks because I was not planning on replacing my lights as I have many many t-5 bulbs already that I got when I purchased my lights. Now I have to find some new ballasts for them UGH
I think I might look into another MH light like the viper light I used to have the 175 watt was a perfect size for the tank.
Just makes me sick LOL
O well Mike

scsinet

If finding a ballast with the exact same size as the old is not a huge deal, check out the workhorse ballasts... I've had nothing but good experiences with them and they are very affordable.

michaeltx

I will look into it not real sure yet. I have not decided on either to keep the t-5 only or get new ballasts and stay with the t-5 or maybe get new ballasts and use them to supplement a 175 watt MH fixture. time to make up my mind LOL
Mike

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTX http:///t/388845/t-5-ballasts#post_3431983
I got up this morning and my tank lights were off when they were supposed to come on they did not and I just noticed there was something wrong.. I think my ballasts went out which really sucks because I was not planning on replacing my lights as I have many many t-5 bulbs already that I got when I purchased my lights. Now I have to find some new ballasts for them UGH
I think I might look into another MH light like the viper light I used to have the 175 watt was a perfect size for the tank.
Just makes me sick LOL
O well Mike
How many T5's are you running currently, are you saying that more than one ballast went bad at the same time?

michaeltx

I have 4 bulbs on 2 ballasts and one was already a little flaky and tempermental but yeah both went out I think I had a surge of some kind that caused them to go out.
after they sit for a while they will come on for about 30-45 seconds and then kick off even with new bulbs so I am assuming there is a short in ballast as all the connections are tight and secure.
Mike

2quills

Bummer, yeah a power surge can do it that's for sure. Have you any thoughts or considerations towards Light Emitting Diodes for your light source?

michaeltx

I really have not looked into them. there seems to be a lot of different opinions about how good they are as a major light source. It might be something to really look at though. I have some time before I really need to get them for this tank. do you have any suggestions on which brand to look at?
Mike

reefraff

Check out your endcaps to see if they are corroded. Sounds like the ballasts are just used up but maybe.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTX http:///t/388845/t-5-ballasts#post_3432569
I really have not looked into them. there seems to be a lot of different opinions about how good they are as a major light source. It might be something to really look at though. I have some time before I really need to get them for this tank. do you have any suggestions on which brand to look at?
Mike
The most popular brand out there right now is probably the Aqua Illuminations SOL fixtures. Tons of folks have been having really good success with them. There's such a plethora of new fixtures that have been hitting the market it's sometimes hard to know what to look for and what to stay away from. Aqua Illuminations, the new Echo Tech fixtures which they just started selling on this sight look to be real promising. They have a mix of colosr which is what a lot of folks are looking for these days to help cover a wider range of spectral output. Really brings out the colors in the tank and improves growth. Acan lighting is another one that I've been hearing good things about. Basically any of the fixtures that are using Cree led's and that have indepentent dimming control over the colors is really the way to go when it comes to leds. Stay away from fixtures like the Marineland Reef Capable fixtures unless you plan on keeping softies only. Just my .02
Here's a nice example of a tank that's been using Aqua Illuminations fixtures for a little while now.