T-5 Light fixture on e-bay

coralfrag

I'm setting up a 55 gallon reef tank and found this t-5 light fixture on ---- and wondered if it would be adequate for some softies, montiporas and coraline algae?
T-5 light fixture.
I've never seen anyone ueing the T-5s have any of you? What do you think of them?

suver569

I dont have much experience personally, but lots of guys swear by them. I guess they've been around for a while in Euro, but just recently in the US. I hear they're nice, and my LFS has started stocking the fixtures and bulbs. They seem to be extremly bright, and usually right up to par with VHO's and PC's. I'm sure there are some comparison charts floating around on the internet if you looked hard enough.

nas19320

I did have T5's on my 55 but recently upgraded to MH as I wanted to get more into SPS. T5's are nice and you can do a lot with them but they do not really compare to a good MH setup. The nice thing is that they are low wattage but good PAR, small size so you can fit more in the canopy, and low heat due to the lower wattage.

niger12

These lights are good. I have read that 150w of T5 is pretty equivelant to 150w of MH. When it comes to lights everybody has a different opinion. I am keeping SPS even an acro frag with a combo of T5 and PC. I don't think they will really take off until we can get more published studies on them. The PAR is lower than MH but close from what I have read. But my new tank is MH with T5 actinics. Take this with a grain of salt and do some research to help make your decision.

coralfrag

Thanks everyone. I see there's about 2 days left on the bidding and the price is only $137.50. Somebody's going to get a steal.

niger12

So did I. If nobody bought from anyone without lots of seller history, there would be a lot of people who would never move anything on ----. People have to start somewhere to get the history.

coralfrag

ejensen
I decided to e-mail the seller about your concern of his lack of history. He e-mailed me back and explainded, he's an on line retailer and just hadn't thought about using ----. He gave me a link to his website and he's got some good prices on acrylic tanks and other things.
So I have to agree with Niger12 about everyone starting with one sale.
I'm not sure if I can post his web address here, but if your interested e-mail me. It's a neat site and he has plans of offering livestock in the future. The way I understand it, he's building a greehouse in FL for growing coral and offering frags and other things.

obtusewit

Helios by Hagen has single lamp in a fixtures with a reflector. they come in 10K, actinic, pink, blue etc in 12", 18",24", 36" 48" I love mine...only 1" wide and a 36" gives about 30 watts, and costs $18.99 each. the 48" is about $25. You can daisy chain them with a short connector cable that is available too. Beat that on ----.. Most LFS can order them but tyhey would ather sell you the $200 sealife...lol