T-5 Questions

evanwv19

I've been thinking about getting some T-5s, but first I've got a few questions.
Who out there has and uses T-5s?
How do you like them and how do they work for you?
What kind do you have?
How long have you had them?
Any extra information or anything else you can recommend would be much appreciated
If anyone could tell me a place to find any other information that would be great too, thanks :happyfish

rcbruce

Personaly I love my T-5's. 55 gal tank, have one set on it now, getting ready to add second set. I paid $150 for the set I have now, but just came across a deal for another set for $95

I don't have any problems, but then I don't try to keep any of the "hard" stuff that they say need metal hays. Keep in mind what you see is only 6 months old!
Here's a few pics. You judge for yourself.

some1fishy

I use em on my 55 and they are great for fowlr tanks. Keep only corals with minimal light requirements and you'll be fine. I have two, 2 bulb sets on it and it puts out enough light to keep the corals thriving. I also have 100 lbs of live rock in it as well. So I would recommend them if you are going this route.

T

toungetwster

I just bought a pair of double bulb strips each contain 2 36 watt, 12,000K bulbs. Plus a I have a 260 watt PC fixture with 2 10,000 k and 2 blue actanic. My tank (a 125 with 30 gal sump) looks awesome. I'm now thinking of adding more T5's. I like the look even with out my PC's on. I would highly recomend them

nanocuber7

i bought t-5's for my 30g not only are the bulbs and the fixtures cheap but they make alot of light too. BTW i keep a reef and all my corals are doing great. but im going to upgrade to VHO in the very near future :joy:

thangbom

sry to just but in like , but a q? to all those with t5... how are the acetenic on them?? are they as good or better then pc's?? cuzz im thinking to get either t5 or vho sometime.. ( but im thinking t5 )

thangbom

well i heard that vho acetenic are the best.. it was discribed thaat the colors POP out at you... and that t5 lighting can never make a 'true' acetenic light due to something about the design of the bulb... so i was just wondering how good are t5 acetenics.. ( yes acetnics are acetenics. but there are also good and bad.. just that of crappy jebo acetenics...)

reefraff

Not all T5's are created equal. With the right system you can beat the output of a lot of 250 watt halides. Stick with Sunlight Supply Tek retros or the Tek hood and you are good for anything you want to raise up to about a 20" tall tank.
If you use Ice Cap's ballast and reflectors you will have more light than the majority of 250 watt halide systems out there.
URI is working on a T5 actinic. The T5 actinic isn't great but they have a lamp called actinic plus that is very cool. It is a 450nm blue lamp that fluoresces coral pretty good and gives you a 20K radium blue instead of the purplish actinic look.

judyk

I just switched from 260 PC to Tek T-5 (4 X 54). They are way brighter. The PC bulbs were only 2 months old. I can't tell you how they affect to corals since, I'm fighting cyan and have them off most of the time.

wesa

RCBruce,
I just got my T5's & it states you can't have a canopy with these lights. It looks like you have one on the 55. Is your's open on top and has a frame work that sits on the tank or do you actually have a canopy. CAn you please clue me into what you've done. Thanks.

rcbruce

my canopy has a slat top. allows air exchange for both the lights and the water. I built it myself using 1X8 oak for the front and sides, and 2X2's for the top, using 5 across spaced evenly. A 1X2 across the back holds it all together. I know you can buy canopy's with vented tops, I just decided to make my own.

reefraff

If you are going to use a T5 hood in a canopy run a couple fans to help keep humidity from building up and check your endcaps for corrosion every six months or so. It would also be a good idea to remove and bypass the on/off switch as well.

rcbruce

I guess different fixtures. Mine didn't even have a on/off switch. With the slats in the top, no need for fans as humidity and air exchange is good. T-5's don't put out the heat MH's do. I wouldn't use any light in an enclosed canopy.