t-5

whackamole

what would i be able to kepp in a 55 gallon tank. its 48 inch by i belive 20 something if my light was 216 watt t-5???
thank you

chilwil84

most sps but some of the extreme acros may lose some color and not grow as fast as they may under mh

chrisarc

T5s are good lights. I have 216 watts on my 55 but im only keeping softies and a few lps. Good reflectors make a huge difference. Heres my 55.

whackamole

ok thanks. what about 78 watts on a 29 gallon long. its 36long and 14 high. would it be the same story or a little less as far as coral goes??? thanks again. you guys make a huge diffrence. oh yea it would be t6. (is there a diff in the output from t5 to t6)

wangotango

what fixture did you pick out of curiosity? like mentioned, individual reflectors are all the difference. i have 270w of T5 in my 55 and i would never even consider putting halides on this tank or probably any future ones. as for the whole T5 T6 thing, to my knowledge T6 dont come in high-output like the T5. and 78w on the 29 sounds good too.
-Justin

b0bby1

wackamole ive got the same tank as u, same demensions. wut brand light do u have, where did u get it, and how much was it.

sleasia

ok, what about a 6ft long tank, 20" high and 24 inches in width? Is it better to go with 2 3ft t5 fixtures. are there retrofit t5's. Because t5 fixtures for this size tank seem to be just as expensive as putting in three retrofit 250 watt metal halides? what is best to do?
Thanks everyone.

whackamole

36" 78W (2-39 watt) Dual T6 Fluorescent Light Fixture
Total output: 78W
Supports: 2 x 39W T6
Fixture Size: 35.25" x 4.75" x 2.25"
Ballast Type: Internal Electronic
Power Cords: 1
On/Off switch: 1
Cooling Fan: None
Splash Protection: Acrylic Lens
Mounting Leg: Included (Max Reach: 36")
Hanging Kit: None
Type of Bulb: 2 Pin T6
this is what the light comes with. it would be on a tank thats is only 14 inches high. ummm anybody know what i can keep. (what if i bought a ice cap reflecter how would that help)

chilwil84

there are 6' bulbs available but some people have feel that they lose there effectiveness as they get longer so if you like the price of the 3' retros go for at least 4 pairs

wangotango

Originally Posted by sleasia
ok, what about a 6ft long tank, 20" high and 24 inches in width? Is it better to go with 2 3ft t5 fixtures. are there retrofit t5's. Because t5 fixtures for this size tank seem to be just as expensive as putting in three retrofit 250 watt metal halides? what is best to do?
Thanks everyone.
go with the 6' constellation fixture from aquactinics. par is equal if not better than a 250w halide setup. it has lke 14 39w bulbs i think.
-Justin