T-5's????

brucewrs

They dont make them in 72" long??
I just seen one on e-bay.I dont want to break the rules by direct linking it,So here is the item #250027907255. It shows 8 bulbs and 72"s long.Unless it is 8 36" ones?It looks like 8 72" ones in the picture.

reefn4life

I would be skeptical about that as you see their is 2 fixtures in the auction picture but same with the auction for the 60". I dont know where you would come across replacement bulbs for it because any online retailer only sells up to 48" bulbs. I bet he is selling them with 2 36" fixtures. To me it looks like all the products he is selling is made by catalina aquarium dot com and is very low quality equipment. But its up to you to spend that much money on something you dont know what it is. I would go with a light from aqua trader dot com instead

brucewrs

Originally Posted by reefn4life
I would be skeptical about that as you see their is 2 fixtures in the auction picture but same with the auction for the 60". I dont know where you would come across replacement bulbs for it because any online retailer only sells up to 48" bulbs. I bet he is selling them with 2 36" fixtures. To me it looks like all the products he is selling is made by catalina aquarium dot com and is very low quality equipment. But its up to you to spend that much money on something you dont know what it is. I would go with a light from aqua trader dot com instead

Thank you for the advice.That is why I did not buy one from e-bay..I figured I would post here and get some honest answers.Thanks

reefn4life

your welcome... thats why we all are here is to help one another out. What type of lighting are you looking for besides a 72" fixture?

brucewrs

Originally Posted by reefn4life
your welcome... thats why we all are here is to help one another out. What type of lighting are you looking for besides a 72" fixture?
I have one anemone, live rock and fish.It wont be a reef tank but I need more light because I want a few more anemones.Right now I have a 130 watt compact which half the side just broke and 2 double 48" shop lights.The tank is a 210gallon.I dont want MH's because of the heat.The compact bulbs are very expensive that is why I was thinking about t-5's.Maybe I should get 2 36" units?Thanks,Bruce

reefn4life

I have been thinking of 2 36" units myself for my 125 thats 72" long. but halides. I wouldnt say you need alot of light for anemones but you need better light then you currently have for the height of the tank.

steveoutla

I have 2 36" TEK fixtures on my 210g and they are plenty for SPS and Clams. Another route you can go if you are retro fitting is to stagger the 48" bulbs so they span the entire length of the tank. One piece of advice, go with VHO actinics........they look sooooo much better than the T5 actinics.

brucewrs

I just ordered this.I dont have a reef tank so it should be enough light for my live rock and anemones.
Total output 542W.
Approx Fixture Size: 48"L x 11.5"W x 3.5"H
System Support: 2x175W HQI, 2x96W CF, and 6xBluemoon LED
Odyssea metal halide system (Version 4) comes with:
non-corrosive powder coated housing
built-in cooling fans
external ballast
tempered glass splash guard
hanging kit and mounting brackets
2x double ended 175W HQI bulb
2x compact fluorescent 96W bulb actinic blue
6x plug in bluemoon LED

petjunkie

Just go to the equipment forum or search Odyessa, there's a great big thread that convinced me it wasn't worth buying cheap lighting, too many issues.

reefn4life

Originally Posted by brucewrs
I just ordered this.I dont have a reef tank so it should be enough light for my live rock and anemones.
Total output 542W.
Approx Fixture Size: 48"L x 11.5"W x 3.5"H
System Support: 2x175W HQI, 2x96W CF, and 6xBluemoon LED
Odyssea metal halide system (Version 4) comes with:
non-corrosive powder coated housing
built-in cooling fans
external ballast
tempered glass splash guard
hanging kit and mounting brackets
2x double ended 175W HQI bulb
2x compact fluorescent 96W bulb actinic blue
6x plug in bluemoon LED

Bruce, I am thinking about that same light. Cheap lighting is sometimes better then the most expensive. I have heard bad stories about coralife buring houses down and same with other suppliers. Just make sure anything that has to do with your tank is plugged into a GFCI outlet and you should be all set. Fires are caused because people dont use GFCI outlets and thats why people give them bad names but I have seen a coralife light melt right in front of my eyes one day with one plugged into a GFCI. So that said not always the high dollar equipment is the best and the low dollar equipment the same. All depends on how you treat your equipment.