t-8 or t-12 bulbs

c_bell

Can someone please explain the difference between t-8 and T-12 bulbs!!! I'm looking to buy new bulbs for my NO 36" AGA twin-tube strip light and I came across T-8 and T-12 bulbs and I don't know which ones I need. Thanks

hartkarl

t-8 lamps are skinnier than the t-12 lamps. t-12 lamps are your standard type lamp. with the t-8 lamps you usually need a elctronic ballast. check your ballast it will say what kind of lamps and how many you can use.

squidworth

The number means 1/8". A t-8 is 8/8 of an inch or 1 inch. A t-12 is 12/8 of an inch or 1 1/2 inch. These bulbs will interchange with no retrofit to the lamp HOLDER or ENDS. The ballast is quite different and will not interchange between the different bulb diameters

waterwolf

Not always true. Yes they do make seperate ballasts for T8 and T12 fixtures but I have some advanced ballasts that say they can't use T8 but they do. My old ballasts, 10+yrs ago would not work with T8. T8 bulbs seem brighter than T12.

waterwolf

"Advanced" was the brand name. The actuall model was Mark3 Energy Saver R-2S40-1-TP This ballast does use T8 and T12 bulbs. It worked with CorallifeT12, ZooMed T8 with no problems.