T3D 20 Gallon Long

vejomatic

looken' good T3D...
o.k- first off, im not much of an Aquarist "yet", so what I say, probably wont coincide with the more accomplished reefers here...but!, let me give it a shot. Just dont take what I have to say as "the word" :)
your sand looks like it might be going through a begining stage of Detritus, but from what I have read so far...this is to be expected (to some degree) and should just be looked at as a progression of your cycle...?
as far as your protien skimmer vs. skilter....def. hook that bad boy (skimmer) up and get it running...cant hurt anything as far as I know.
about using your other filters...this might be contrary to others but from what I have gathered you cant have too much skimming, and likewise cant have too much filtering.
make sense? I hope so...maybe the more inclined will chime in for you and help you out.
otherwise...i think your doing great and I hope to see your tank looking even better soon :cheer:
~vm

avbryce1

I think vejomatic meant to say diatoms (detritus is poop)
as for a clean up crew I would get
5 Nassarius snails ( for the sand)
4 mexican turbo snails ( for glass and rocks )
1 scarlett cleaner shrimp
5 blueleg hermits
1 emerald crab
3 scarlett hermits
1 or 2 other cool hermits
any way some might say that is a little much and some might say that its not enough
but thats just me :D

T

t3d

thanks for all the replies and suggestions, but I read them after i got back from the store! I picked up 3 turbo snails. Here are some more pics
And i tried to hook that anonymous skimmerup, but it was too big! I cleaned out the skilter and its putting out foam, and bubbls in the tank, for now

T

t3d

Did water test today
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 0 - 5
II've also noticed some purple leave growing( with blue highlights). Any idea what this is. Also have some yellow leaves growing :help:

T

t3d

Ok so my ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and my nitrates are at 5. Are Water changes necessary if the water parameters are good?

T

tuningvis

yes. to replenish the minerals and all that good stuff that is in new water that has been used by your system in the tank already

T

t3d

Wow i just found my old thread. My tank is going strong. I still have the skilter going, but with only live rock rubble. I have a crocea clam and some pink zoos. I will try to put up pics tonight. I have that neon green algaie and pink algae groing in some spots of my front glass. My magnet cleaner isnt doing the job. Is there a better scraper that I could get to rid the front glass of coraline? ThankS!

T

t3d

Wow found it again!
So i have just upgraded to Tek T5 Light 4x24watts a 25 gallon bowfront tanks with stand. And i now have a digital camera.
But unfortunaly after trying the 6500K light bulb for coral growth hair algae bloomed! I have reverted back to 2 10K bulbs (UVI) and 2 actinic blue plus(GE)
Just picked up 3 turbo snails and a remora nano skimmer.
Will update so anyone can see progress

Same clownfish since the start of the tank...they really are hardy they've been through alot

T

t3d

Do you think 3 snails and remora will help rid all that algae I have?
I tried phosphate banner with stocking for 2 days but it didnt go away.
I dont have RO water but have the DI tap water filter (which was $30 online vs $75 from pet**)

brewski4u1

if your not using RO you will more then likly always be fighting w/ alge blooms! also if you dont have enough flow that could be a problem! on a side note looking at your full tank shot you really should put the pre filter on those powerheads befor they suck up one of your fish!

T

t3d

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
if your not using RO you will more then likly always be fighting w/ alge blooms! also if you dont have enough flow that could be a problem! on a side note looking at your full tank shot you really should put the pre filter on those powerheads befor they suck up one of your fish!
i used to use that, but i have these fish for almost 3 years without it. Hopefully that wont happen.
RO filters are so expensive for a nano tank. Maybe i will begin buying the water at walmart.
The snails have worked one side of the tank, so they are mowing down the algae.

T

t3d

Another year with new corals. Still using my Tek System T5 Lighting 2 Geissman Actinic Light, 6500, and a aqua blue +. Here are a few pics...
Some of these corals I received from my LFS that are called 'nano corals' for about $10. I hope they grow. The bubble coral was added today, do you think its too close to my anchor coral? I dont want to move the bubble yet since it was just placed...dont wanna add to much stress

mr.clownfish

i started with a 20gal long tank too! i loved it! her is what it looked like.

i had all those under 2x25watt t5's
then i upgraded to a 30gal. i like it much better because there is more room to aqua scape. but sadly i have an algae problem. it is growing every where.