T5 Bulb Combos

gio28

Hi everyone, I thought I'd start a thread to give myself, as well as other people, ideas on which bulbs to use for their T5 lighting. Post some pics of your tanks and tell the bulbs you are using to give some ideas. Thanks.
Im getting a T5 retro 4X24" over my 36 gallon bowfront and have been stuck on two combos.
1)
-UVL Actinic
-ATI Blue +
-UVL Actinic White 12,000K
-ATI Blue +
or
2)
-ATI Blue +
-KZ Fiji Purple
-ATI Aquablue Special
-ATI Blue +
any opinions on these in particular (mostly LPS and SPS dominated tank w/ some Zoas) Thank you!

nikesb

the second one would be greater par which is what you would need since its going to be deeper than 12", though i would do 3 blue+, and 1 fiji purple

i use
blue+
aquablue special
aquascience 22000k
blue+

gio28

@spanko - thanks for the link, that really helped...ALOT haha.
@nike - i was actually considering doing the combo you mentioned...but i was wondering if it would be ok without an actual daylight bulb in the mix. Is the tank in the pictures the combo you use or the combo you suggested to me? thanks.
keep the pics coming people!

nikesb

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3278496
@nike - i was actually considering doing the combo you mentioned...but i was wondering if it would be ok without an actual daylight bulb in the mix. Is the tank in the pictures the combo you use or the combo you suggested to me? thanks.
that was using 2 ati blue+, 1 aquablue special, and 1 aquascience 22000k. I will be ordering a fiji purple to replace my daylight bulb, IMO the tank will do just fine without the daylight bulb and the fiji will server that purpose

gio28

gotcha. real nice tank btw. the lighting looks awesome with the combo of bulbs you have.
I've noticed that even one daylight bulb in a mix of 4 kinda cancels out the blue bulbs so I would prefer not to have a daylight if possible. I'm considering your recommendation cause 3 blue + and a fiji would look real nice. I was thinking about doing 2 blue+ and instead of a third one, going with a UVL super actinic (best PAR out of actinic bulbs) to really make corals pop. But im not sure if that will really make a difference. In the link spanko provided (post #6) there is an example of that exact combo. It might be a little too blue for me though.
the other combo of the UVL super actinic, ATI blue +, UVL actinic white (12,000K), ATI blue + was recommend by the grim reefer to someone with a similar dilemma in making a bulb decision. Any opinions on this one? It will be a tad less PAR (thats at least what I found after looking at tests) but i think the 50% daylight of one bulb should go perfect with the blues and actinic. I've read that the actinic white to some people seems to almost act like a fiji or procolor cause it gives off this peachy color that enhances non-fluorescent pigments in corals.

nikesb

ive been wanting to try this combo for awhile so that the white doesnt over power everything but it is
2 blue+, 1 aquascience duo (17500k,) and fiji purple. It might be the perfect amount of blue. I have not tried to super actinic yet and hope to try it soon to see if it will even add fluorescent coloration once the other bulbs are on

gio28

that does sound like a good combo IMO. That link spanko showed me shows like every combo out there in that 84 page thread haha...except for a tank with 3 blue+ and a fiji purple. If anyone happens to have this setup or has these bulbs and wouldn't mind popping them in real quick and taking a pic that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nikesb

i can tell you that many of the sample combos in the nr thread doesnt show true coloration. their white balance is off

gio28

yeah thats what sucks about pictures...i noticed that all the different people that had that combo, or any other combo people had in common, that the pictures they took were all slightly different...or alot in some cases. I really like the look of Travis' tank on the nr thread. I might end up going with that and moving the bulbs around cause i know that actually makes a noticeable difference.

nikesb

thatd be good, i believe its whiter in person. my tank the color in my tank is the exact color though, so at least you have a good representation

gio28

after doing a little more research on all the bulb combos i've come to a few conclusions. many 4 bulb combos with an aquablue special look kinda washed out...due to that bulbs prevalence over all the others and the icy look it gives off (IMO and many others as well). Also, many people would suspect that a GE 6500K would produce a yellow look that makes the tank look odd...but in conjunction with a few blue bulbs and/or a fiji purple the result is actually very very nice (crisp white with a very noticeable blue tint...and non-fluorescent corals pop [pg 37, 65, 66 of the link above]).
my new favorite combo has to be:
front-->back
ATI Blue+
KZ Fiji Purple
GE6500K or UVL actinic white or UVL super actinic
Ati Blue+
this combo...with that one bulb variation of three choices, all look very nice and really show all the corals very well...after looking at a ton of pics I would recommend then to anyone who wants a crisp look that is by no means washed out.

gio28

haha well let me tell you (IMO...after having a metal halide)...im looking forward to switching over to T5 for sure. There are so many color combinations and it also saves alot on the electric bill. Some people like the shimmer and how far the light penetrates with MHs but I recommend you definitely take a look at some T5 retros or fixtures.

reef champ

agreed... I researched both a little bit. I looked at the NR thread I kinda like the looks of the 3 blue+ and the GE6500K

gio28

ahhh i can't decide on what combo...i just need to stick with my gut...maybe order an extra bulb to switch things in and out...

gio28

ok i think i've finally got my mind set on a combo.
front--->back
-ATI Blue +
-KZ fiji Purple
-GE 6500 K
-ATI Blue +
if its not as blue as i would like it I guess I could always put the 6500K in the back and the blue + in 3rd. Anybody have opinions on this combo? Anybody running it? Thanks.

reef champ

If it's not as blue as you want you could just replace the fiji purple with another blue + but from what I've read a lot of people like the looks of what you suggested.

gio28

yeah there are so many pictures of this combo on different forums...but every picture can't really show what it looks like in person. My LFS carries a bunch of Giesseman (spelling?) bulbs so i guess i could just buy one and swap it out.
Another question, my canopy is about ehh...8" above the water due to it currently housing a MH...i cant lower it anymore...would this height be ok for T5 in terms of PAR and all?