T5 bulb question ...

steve24

i have a two yr old reef with aquatinics TX5 lights. 3 1/2 months ago i ordered
some new bulbs for it. i think i ordered the wrong ones and or recieved the wrong ones
anyways, ever since then i have been battling green hair algea and like a green slime algea. here is the info on the lights that i got ...
Nearly twice the light output of conventional T-5 lamps
48 in has 85W
AquaSun 10000°K T-5 HO Fluorescent Tubes
* 10000°K High Output T-5 fluorescent aquarium lamps
* Greatly enhances the color of your tropical and marine fish
* Space-saving, 5/8 inch diameter lamps emit more light than other T-5's
T-5/HO lamps with Tri-band phosphors enhance the color of your tropical and marine fish. These special, higher-wattage T-5/HO lamps boast greater light output than conventional T-5 lamps. The result is more light from your T-5 fluorescent light fixture for spectacular, cost and space-saving benefits. Provides the additional color temperature needed to showcase fresh and saltwater aquariums.
Use these T-5 HO Tubes as replacement tubes for the Nova Extreme with Lunar Lights, the Nova Extreme, the Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights, the T5-48 Deluxe Strip Light Fixture or use in conjunction with an IceCap Ballast, endcaps, and the IceCap T-5 Reflectors, or any appropriate T-5 fluorescent light fixture. Use T-5 tubes with T-5 compatible light fixtures with high output electronic ballasts to help increase efficiency and tube life. The average life of T-5 tubes is 2 years, with the blue/actinic spectrum lamps lasting up to 18 months.
i have tested and had my LFS test the water, all are good. could these lights be the cause ?

reefraff

Those are good lamps. Same company that made the URI VHO Actinics. I assume you've check your water parameters but check your magnesium. Low mag levels will aid hair algae growth. Saw a thread on another board with pics showing how elevating magnesium slightly will kill off HA. Not sure I would try that but I have had a algae problem I solved when I took care of a low magnesium level

isistius

you might want to consider sticking with ati, uvl, and geissman bulbs. they are the best on the market.