T5 HO or PC'S??????

ryanhayes9

which is better? i have a 55 gallon and would like to keep anything i want so which would be better to buy??
Odyssea 48" 216W Quad Strip HO T5 Light Fixture ODY48T5216WX
Ideal for all aquariums!
FREE Light Bulbs* 4x54W HO T5 bulbs. FREE Bluemoon LED, FREE Mounting Legs
OR
48" 260W Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture
Ideal for high demanding reef aquariums!
FREE* 2x65W Daylight 12000K, 2x65W Actinic Blue
FREE* Bluemoon LED
FREE* Mounting Legs

travis89

If you get t-5's you should be able to keep almost anything, I have 192 watts PC and have had a orange monti cap for 3 months. I know that's not long but it has been growing.

travis89

I think I would get the t-5 if you want anenomies, other the BTA's i would never try them under PC's, I think t-5 should be good.

travis89

Originally Posted by sethw
thanks do t5s run hot? anything i should know bout them?
No t-5 do not run hot. That's why more and more people are using them instead of mh because they are almost as good, I wouldn't say better though.

hatessushi

I have T5's and highly recommend them. I also have an anenome and he is just fine.
Doesn't get real hot and haven't notice any difference in our electric bill.

mikeyjer

I would go for the T-5's as well. Ever since I got into MH's, I can't go with something else, but I will be using T-5's on my frag tank that I'm setting up soon. I am running T-5's temp. on my 90g bowfront until I get my MH's installed. :happyfish

i rule

okay i used to work for a lighting company, and i know that t5 are a waste of money all they are is upgraded flourescents
pcs and t5 produce the exact same quality of light
if someone tells you different, they are a bloody idiot

stanlalee

I wouldn't buy Odyssea T5's. T5's performance is too dependent on the reflector (alot having to do with the small size of the tube) and the performance of Odyssea for T5 at this point is anybody's guess. We do know the Odyssea pc bulbs are low quality but at least we know we can expect the light fixture itself to perform decently (until it stops working which there seems to be a 50/50 chance). If you want to keep everything get a T5 fixture with quality reflectors and bulbs and probably two more bulbs (as opposed to the 4 bulb 216w fixture). or at the very least buy individual reflectors, I think the Dr's sell them. You definately wont be able to keep "anything" with 260w pc and you'll need quality lighting and good placement to do it with 216w of T5 and that everything probably shouldn't include clams and anemome's with high light demands. If you just want a Bubble tip anenome then either fixture will probably work (though I'd get better bulbs for the pc fixture if not the T5).

nebreefer

4x54 wt t5 on a 55 with individual reflectors will be more than enough (I have a Crocea on the Bottom)!! It is actually all that will fit once you add endcaps and reflectors. The refectors are what makes T5 so great. There is **NO** camparison between t5 and PC!! My system is brighter and has better growth rates than when I had MH (I also had PC only on the tank for 7 yrs). The main reason T5 are so great is the amount of light lost back into the bulb is minimal and reflected back into the tank (this is why individual reflectors are so improtant)--with PC this in a concern because of the bulb shape. But yes they do put out alot of heat and need to be fan cooled to extend the life of the bulbs--I learned this the hard way and lost two bulbs after only 3 months.

mikeyjer

I do have to say this, "Individual Results May Vary!!!" It doesn't mean that certain type of lights works for you will work for others the same way! But it is widely proven that MH's will work for anyone! It just all depends on what you want in the tank. I have seen people using T-5's and PC's with good results, so do your research and find what's best for you! :happyfish

1journeyman

Originally Posted by I Rule
okay i used to work for a lighting company, and i know that t5 are a waste of money all they are is upgraded flourescents
pcs and t5 produce the exact same quality of light
if someone tells you different, they are a bloody idiot
Take what this guy says with a grain of salt... see his other posts about Triggers and 10 clowns in a 40 gallon tank and how his mom might buy him a new tank...

ryanhayes9

dont worry guys. i bought the oddysea t5s and within a month the thing caught on fire!!!! i now have the nova extreme 216 watt t5's and im trying to fin out how to make diy reflectors. know how?