T5 Lighting Question

KHow

Firstly, thanks to everyone for tolerating my many questions. The help and advice that I have recieved here has been invaluable.

Ok, will a T5 single bulb approximately 24" long, be suitable, I know not ideal, but suitable to keep " beginner" corals? Water depth would be between 8 and 12 inches. It would possibly be backed up simultaneously with a T8 bulb. If I can use this setup, what would be the proper bulb choice and what coral or anemone could I possibly choose?

jay0705

Its possible yes for soft corals. No nems, except maybe rock nems. You'll want high out put bulbs.

KHow

Please excuse my noobieness... What are nems? I have been reading up on LEDs and my head is spinning. I may be reading over my head but I found an article that was very detailed and seemed to say that most of the fixtures in my price range won't work!! Lol, but that was for LEDs. I like to DIY when I can. That's one reason I would like to build my lights. Also, money is tight. Ugh! Ok, not sure what to do. I know LED is best. But I have a T8 single hood and I have a T5 fixture that I can hack, and install. I can either go with a single T5 or try and squeeze a T5 in along with my T8.... Am I crazy?

pegasus

Nems is short for anemones. It might be possible to keep a few softies and some low-light LPS with a single T5 (High Output I presume) with only 8"-12" of depth. If I had to chose a single bulb, I would choose the ATI Coral Plus. You should get the greatest mix of color spectrum from this bulb, which is designed for coral growth. I know other brands offer something similar, but I'm not familiar with other brands.

KHow

Lol, I just wasn't sure! I would like to think that I could raise some zoas or some mushroom with a T5.

jay0705

Shallow tank, w the rt bulb yes u can. Its deeper tanks w sub par lights that have issues.

KHow

Ok cool. My tank is deep.. 36gl Bowfront, but the top of my live rock is only about 8-10" then it steps down about three or four to next level.

pegasus

I need to add to my previous post... while the Coral Plus bulb will work great at supplying your corals the necessary spectrum of light for photosynthesis, it's not going to be a good light for tank illumination. It would be nice if you had a two-bulb... or even better... a four-bulb fixture so you could mix bulbs to achieve coral growth and provide visible light.