t5 lighting

sk8america

i have some questions for anyone who has ever used t5 lighting. is there 2 different kinds of t5 no and vho? if so how do i know the difference ? is it better then pc or the same?

fishieness

i have heard that t5 was better than PC. However, i did not know that there was NO and VHO versions of t5. I just knew that there were those versions for normal florecent.
so i dont realy know the awnser, im just subscribing to the thread. lol :happy:

viper_930

T-5, VHO, and NO are three different types of lights. T-5 is much better than PC lights, they're as close to MH as you can get without actually getting MH.

fishieness

thats what i thought, but i thought maybe there was something else to learn..... sorry to highjack... buuuuuttt... t-12 is VHO right? and is t-8 HO or NO?

viper_930

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about normal output T-5 lights. Got a brand name?
NO = T-8
VHO = T-12
HO = T-5

thegrog

Unless I am mistaken, the T-xx simply signifies the physical size of the bulb...not its output. The larger the number, the larger the bulb. You would still need a T-5 ballast to run those bulbs.

fishieness

i searched on a competetor, and this is all i found
Take advantage of the latest in fluorescent light technology. HIGH OUTPUT T-5 bulbs housed in a slim hanging fixture ideal for reef aquariums. Innovative reflector maximizes light output and T-5 bulbs distribute light evenly across the length of your aquarium for uniform lighting conditions. Features non-corrosive extruded aluminum housing, internal electronic ballast, reflector, protective glass lens, and two 72" cords. Includes steel wire hanging kit and 4-54 watt Aquablue (60% actinic blue, 40% 11000°K) T-5 HO bulbs. 48" x 8" x 3" high. 216 watt (4-54 watt bulbs). Replacement bulbs sold separately.High output
All the ones i found said high output. I didnt find any for NO. So i think that they; were just talking about t-5 in general to say that it was high-output.... but i do not know

sk8america

so t5 are good then i have had my pc for like 5 months but when i upgrad i will need a longer light the t5s that my work brought in are ridiculously cheaper than my pc unit do u think i should go for them

dragonboy

I got the odyssea T5 with two bulbs and the total of power is 28 watt they seem pretty bright but I dunno if it is good enough for the softies that I'm putting in.

fishieness

i just found a site selling odyssea t5s. They had t5s, 36 inches long, that were 21 watt. then HO t5s that were the same length and 39 watts.
But these fixtures only came with 2 bulbs. They were also only 45 bucks! so the price was nice. but my question is, will adding 74 watts of HO t5 to my 192 watts of PC realy make a huge difference?
i wanted to get some more wattage, but if my PC already works, i dont realy want to get rid of them......
but i guess that settles that argument of the NO and HO t5?