T5 Question

B

brstwv

Alright how is everyone doing ? Okay I decided on T5 lights for my 55 long 48Lx15Wx17H height is from top of sand to top of tank. Should i go 4x54 or 6X54. I will want to keep a clam, mostly softies, rics, zoos, lps, a couple SPS. What brand of lights do you have ? Can you tell me how they are working out for you ? Are the ones from the auction site any good ? I've been looking at the Teks. Thanks in advance.

scsinet

Since you want to keep clams and sps, the choice is obvious. 6x54.
4x54 may work (and I'm sure someone here will jump in and say they are doing it) but IMO it would mean you need to be sure to place light hungry stuff near the top.
6x54 is a total of 324 watts, yielding almost 6wpg. Normally I would recommend at least 8wpg for clams and sps, but T5s are more efficient. Be sure to get a fixture with invidiual reflectors and you're golden.
For a point of comparison, I run (2) 175w halides and (2) 54w T5s over my 55g reef, totaling 458 watts, and I keep a bit of everything.

B

brstwv

Thanks SCSInet I will probally go 6x54, any Tek owners out there, I've read for output with t5 the reflectors are important and should be individual. Any one else?

reefraff

The hellolights are a Chinese knock off of the Tek. Take a look at the Aquactinics TX5 T5 unit. The 6 lamp tek unit will put a little more light in the tank than the 4 lamp Tek but you are going to waste some of the light produced because the Tek is about the same width front to back as your tank.

pondy

I own a 6 light TEK system and I really like it. I have it over a 75 standard and it does a great job. I am planing on keepind sps, as well as a couple clams. The guy that I bought the system from had this same fixture over his 55 and had clams on the sand of his tank. They are awsome light fixtures and are well worth the money. I cant recall the lights that I am using though. I have 3 yellow and 2 blue actinics and it is a really nice mix. the twin balast that lets you use the light at seperate times is awsome as well.

wangotango

id go aquactinics, one of the best brands on the market. the 6-bulb tek will be a very tight fit if you have a canopy on top of the tank.
-Justin

B

brstwv

I plan on no canopy on top of the tank, I was thinking either hanging or legs.

pondy

I thought about buying the hanging cables but youstill have to have a place to plug them into so normaly those cords would be hanging down. SO I went witht the legs and I really like the legs.

turningtim

brstwv, just to let you know my SPS frags are coming back nicely with the 6x54 tek. I was worried about the Acro and the Milli but they seem to be doing better........
Tim

judyk

I have the 4 bulb tec on my 72 bow with legs. I love them. I would have gone with the 6 bulb but it was too wide for my tank.

jpc763

Originally Posted by fanker
get the tek 4x54w its more than enough
Does the Tek have lunar lights? Can you mount them anywere if it does not?