T5 versus LED?

kkgaskin90

Looking to upgrade (in the semi-near future) to a 125+ tank-corals and fish. Yesterday and today we made our rounds to every LFS within 100 miles searching for setup equipment. The major difference was between the lighting we were shown. One LFS recommended two $240 LED bars with both white and blue lights, the other recommended the T5's from Zoo Med (10,000 K) in 3 different "colors" for corals. I'm a very small woman...and blonde at that so I'm not looking to build a custom fancy pants lighting setup, just want to know what will be good for corals in a 125g aquarium.
So far, here's what I've gathered (any input/advice/pros/cons is/are highly appreciated!):
LED is cool, but fairly "new" to the hobby. Ensure bulbs can be replaced individually so that you aren't running on decreased lighting or having to replace the entire light bar. Would need a separate Lunar strip if I want to watch my pretties glow...which I do.
T5's must be replaced every 6-12 months, which can be pricey (isn't everything?).

snakeblitz33

T5's are tried and true. Used them for years without much problem. They do add a little heat and they do use a bit of electricity. As you said, the bulbs arent cheap and i actually would recommend a change about every 8-12 months. Depending on how many bulbs you need, that could be a couple hundred a year.
Leds, while "new" have been around longer than you think. Thy have been proven to grow corals. I finally went with leds after being a T5 user for years, and ill tell yah now, i wont go back. My temperature is rock solid and my electric bill no longer gives me mini heart attacks.
Look into reefbreeder led units. The value fixtures are worth a look and the controlable photon series is also amazing. I have a photon48 over my 75g sps dominated tank and its actually coloring up some of my "fuzzy sticks" (acropora)

kkgaskin90

Snake-thanks so much for the input. Got a package on a tank/sump/pump/stand that came with a light... but I don't think I like the light. It's a Fluval Sea Marine and Reef 25000k 46W... Long story short it would have cost us more to get the package without the light (?!).

From what I can tell this is going to be insufficient for our 75g if we want to eventually have coral? I couldn't find a whole lot of information on personal experiences with that particular light, which is probably because (a) it's fairly new and (b) it's not a fan favorite?

I've had my eye on the Reefbreeder Photon48 that you have ever since you mentioned it... Retail sticker on my light says $399 while reefbreeder states $499... I'll definitely dish the extra out for a decent light.

So my questions are: Should I ditch this light? Is one Photon48 going to be sufficient for any/most corals our hearts fancy?

Corals are at least a year out for this tank, but I want to be sure I've got the correct (awesome) lighting :)

silverado61

As far as LEDs go, if they're sealed in glass they darn near last forever. I love the shimmering effect they give the water.