T5 vs Metal Halide vs PC

ds450x

Im looking to put new lights in my canopy that I just build for my 75 gallon tank. I looking for the cheapest route that would work for basic corals. The lights can be 48" long and 15 1/2" wide. Which would work the best and be the cheapest? And could someone send me some possible links of some cheap ones that would work good. Thanks

ds450x

I think im going with a t5 retrofit kit. Would 4x54 be enough for my 75 gallon tank or do I need 6?

ds450x

they are individually reflected. It comes with 3 10K bulbs, 2 actinic bulbs, 4 1watt blue led's with a 5 year warranty for only $255 shipped.

ds450x

Not sure but half of what a fish store would sell them for. What kind of corals could I keep with 6x54 t5's? Anything I want?

reefraff

You aren't going to get a good T5 system for 225.00/ If you want to be able to keep anything a Sunlight Supply Tek light 6x54 watt T5 is about the minimum and even with that you need to keep the high light critters on the rocks a little.

ds450x

Whats the difference in the fixture? The only thing that would be different is the bulb and I can just buy better bulbs. The fixture has individual reflectors.
And my friend keeps corals with a pc in a 90 and people say they suck so its not all about the cost.

bizzmoneyb

Originally Posted by ds450x
http:///forum/post/2766616
Whats the difference in the fixture? The only thing that would be different is the bulb and I can just buy better bulbs. The fixture has individual reflectors.
And my friend keeps corals with a pc in a 90 and people say they suck so its not all about the cost.

cheaper units use cheaper crappier parts. parts that break or catch fire quickly. im lookin for a decent T-5 unit myself and decided on the Nova Extreme Pro 48". You can find them for around $330.
And yea you can keep corals under PC's. Its just a matter of what type of corals and what depth you can keep them. The better the light the better health and growth of the coral.

ds450x

These lights will work for me right now. I was going to build my own metal halides for under $300 but I didnt feel like taking the time and im too busy to do that.