T5s for a 125, what would you choose?

azfishgal

OK, I'm taking a survey. My tank is 125 gallons, 6ft long, and about 22" deep. I have two braces on either side of my overflow that's in the middle (see picture below). Husband is building a canopy, so lights can be hung once it's built, or sit right on top while it's waiting for the canopy. My budget is $600 (but would like to spend less if possible), what would you get?
I personally was thinking of getting two 36" Nova Extreme 4x39watt T5HO w/3 Lunar Lights. I can get two shipped for $400. I want to make sure there is nothing else out there that I'm missing. I'm pretty much done with my own research.

All opinions are welcome.

reef noob

get 2 workhorse 7 ballasts (4 54 watt bulbs each i think)
and some endcaps, and reflectors
and do a 8x 54 watt T5 retro

I like the Nova Extreme setup. I have the 4x 36" setup on one of my tanks and never had a minutes trouble. Light bulbs are good for about a year. Other than that, I think the T5 will eventually replace the MH for shallow tank setups. JMO.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by reef noob
the only problen with the nova fixtures is that there is no individual reflectors
There is a rumor they are coming out with them. Was thought to be late spring, but it's been pushed back, maybe June. So I'm debating on waiting a few months to see if they come out with it, and how much it will be.
Mean while I thought I would get everyone's input. Keep them coming.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by TheReefKeeper
I like the Nova Extreme setup. I have the 4x 36" setup on one of my tanks and never had a minutes trouble. Light bulbs are good for about a year. Other than that, I think the T5 will eventually replace the MH for shallow tank setups. JMO.
Are the fans loud on your fixture?

wangotango

i think you're going to want more than 8 39w bulbs. if the aquactinics fixture looks like its going to be too expensive, i would look into 2 36" 6 bulb tek retrofits.
-Justin

J

jeffalight

I have also been looking at upgrading my lighting to T5. What does everyone think about the TEK LIGHT T-5 by Sunlight Supply. It does come with the individual reflectors.

azfishgal

OK, so what if I didn't have a budget and I wouldn't rule out MHs? What now? I know I DON'T want pc, but maybe a MH/T5 combo? These are the lights I'm looking at so far:Two 36" Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T5HO w/3 Lunar $400
Two 36" Sunlight Tek Light T5 Hood 4x39 watt (no lunars or bulbs) $615

72" Constellation Series Aquactinics 14 lamp fixture (no lunars or bulbs) $756

72" Sunpod 3x150 MH $800

72" Outer Orbit HQI/T5 HO: 3x150 watt, 8 39w actinic T5s, 12 blue/white Lunars $950

Now the only two that I know you can get a hanging kit for his the Sunlight and Outer Orbit. Can the other lights be hung?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by jeffalight
I have also been looking at upgrading my lighting to T5. What does everyone think about the TEK LIGHT T-5 by Sunlight Supply. It does come with the individual reflectors.
Maybe together we can get our lighting situation figured out.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Husband is building a canopy, so lights can be hung once it's built, or sit right on top while it's waiting for the canopy. My budget is $600
why hang lights or buy a fixture when you are building a canopy? You will pay half the cost of a fixture using a retro set up (of equivalent peformance and with individual reflectors) which just needs to be bolted to the canopy and sometimes wired. If he can build a canopy that will be childs play putting in.
You can find sunlight supply's two bulb 36" retro kits for around $100 each with bulbs. they arent the pinnacle of T5 development but they are still a good kit and use Fulham workhorse ballast. four kits (8 36" bulbs, 312 watts) will cost about $400 and is plenty for a 125 gallon. You may be able to get the nova fixtures for the same price but the lack of individual reflectors is a major detractor.

you can go with a catalina aquariums 72" retro fixture which has eight 80w bulbs (640w), individual reflectors and also uses Workhorse ballast for $500. the bulbs might not be the best in the business its still a good set up for the money and far superior in watts and reflector to the nova

coralvue (dont actually know how good they are but based on the MH kits and support if you buy em from the right place I wouldn't hesitate to try em) These are simular to the sunlight supply "ready fit kit" which are just like the sunlight retro kits described above except the ballast is self contained in the retro fixture and no wiring is required (catalina kit is the same way). four screws and a plug is all it takes to install. $120 each for two 36" 39w bulbs ($480 total). the only reason to consider these over the sunlight retro's are ease of install due to the lack of basic wiring. Or you could get proven sunlight supply ready fit 36" kit itself which are another $15 more ($540 for kit)
sunlight supply ready fit kits

coralvue's knock off $15 less per kit

just a few suggestions. you can look into Aquactinics and Ice cap kits as well but they probably wont end up being in your $600 budget given the amount of bulbs your probably want to keep everything.

azfishgal

Stan, thanks so much for the GREAT info. I appreciate it!
GOOD NEWS!!! I just got a reply back from current and this is what they said:
Thank you for contacting Current USA. The Nova Extremes T5HO with invidual reflectors (the 6 lamp fixtures) will be available in approx. 90 days. We will also be introducing a 4 lamp T5HO fixture with individual reflectors in 90 days as well. The 6 lamp Nova Extreme fixture will be available in 72” around the same time frame as well.
Have a great day!
Sincerely,
Current USA Customer Service

I think I just might have to wait, to see what these new lights are going to cost.

thangbom

i dont think the individual reflector by nova are n e good... just look at the catalina reflectors.. they only have 3 bends from that pic.. imo thats is a poor designed reflector... Grim Reefer on the other Big forum have been fiddling and researching T5ho reflectors and even some as good a sls reflectors are.. they are not on the top of the list... which will make nova,catalina and the likes not even worth the $$$$... imo if your gonna put out the time and $$$ on upgrades.. make sure it is worth it..
YzGyz

bnutz24

Please let me know I am watching the thread as well I have a 130g 6ft long by 24in deep and I am lost as to what lighting would work best I want to eventually have coral and anomene (sp?)

thangbom

t5ho in good reflectors are strong!!! my 6 bulb in SLR reflectors where hurting my zoos for a while.. they where under PC bout 8'' fromt he water surface and now they are on the sandbed and loving the light!!! they still get more light from the t5ho then they did with the pc even tho they are lower by 12-14 inches...
i am currently running 6 4' on one end and will have a 400mh on the other.. for my 6' tank
YzGyz

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Bnutz24
Please let me know I am watching the thread as well I have a 130g 6ft long by 24in deep and I am lost as to what lighting would work best I want to eventually have coral and anomene (sp?)
I'll post on here what I eventually get. Since you want an anemone and your tank is 24" deep (mine is 22") you will need T5HO with reflectors or MHs. You should be able to keep whatever you want if you go either way. Don't even look at PCs, won't serve your purpose.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
i dont think the individual reflector by nova are n e good... just look at the catalina reflectors.. they only have 3 bends from that pic.. imo thats is a poor designed reflector...

ALL the affordable kits have less than ideal reflectors. even sunlight supply's are considered inferior to the best thats available but there is a steep price jump from the lower developed reflectors to the aquactinics, ice cap and european kits. For the price of an aquactinics or icecap kit to cover a 72" tank it is cheaper to go with three 250w SE halides.

jlem

I'll post on here what I eventually get. Since you want an anemone and your tank is 24" deep (mine is 22") you will need T5HO with reflectors or MHs. You should be able to keep whatever you want if you go either way. Don't even look at PCs, won't serve your purpose.
I have 3X150 watt HQI's now and love them but I had a beutiful RBTA under 4X96 watt PC's 10K daylights and VHO actinics for over 4 years just fine. I don't know anything about t-5's exept it's the newest hot ticket but you can keep anenames just fine if you had 4-96 watt 10K daylights PC's over a 125 gallon. You would want actinic supplimentation because the 10K daylight PC's may be a little yellow.

kevin34

OK, so what if I didn't have a budget and I wouldn't rule out MHs? What now? I know I DON'T want pc, but maybe a MH/T5 combo? These are the lights I'm looking at so far:
Two 36" Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T5HO w/3 Lunar $400

Two 36" Sunlight Tek Light T5 Hood 4x39 watt (no lunars or bulbs) $615

72" Constellation Series Aquactinics 14 lamp fixture (no lunars or bulbs) $756

72" Sunpod 3x150 MH $800

72" Outer Orbit HQI/T5 HO: 3x150 watt, 8 39w actinic T5s, 12 blue/white Lunars $950

Now the only two that I know you can get a hanging kit for his the Sunlight and Outer Orbit. Can the other lights be hung?
I have seen the Constellation for only $684