t5's vs Halides

burch2006

mainly I ask because I keep looking at MH on an online auction site from 200-400 bucks, and I'm just curious if any of them would work. I bought A 260 watt PC on ebat a year ago and have had great success with it, but now I want more.

wangotango

Be careful with buying stuff from auction sites. You usually get obscure brands and cheapo stuff. Save yourself the headache and buy nice stuff up front. Lighting is one of the most expensive parts of a reef, but one of the more important.
As far as halides vs T5ho it's a toss up. Given that you're using the right setup you can keep anything you wanted under either. Each have their pros and cons, so ultimately it comes down to budget and preference.
That being said, I use T5 and love the versatility. I'm also getting colors out of my SPS that I have not seen under halides. I've seen impressive T5 only and impressive halide-only tanks, so there is no clear cut winner.
-Justin

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2872487
Be careful with buying stuff from auction sites. You usually get obscure brands and cheapo stuff. Save yourself the headache and buy nice stuff up front. Lighting is one of the most expensive parts of a reef, but one of the more important.
As far as halides vs T5ho it's a toss up. Given that you're using the right setup you can keep anything you wanted under either. Each have their pros and cons, so ultimately it comes down to budget and preference.
That being said, I use T5 and love the versatility. I'm also getting colors out of my SPS that I have not seen under halides. I've seen impressive T5 only and impressive halide-only tanks, so there is no clear cut winner.
-Justin
+1 Ideal setup would be a combo of the 2