T5s vs MH

saltaddict

Golfish NP I let things get out of hand myself. Tell your wife I'm 50 % to blame it takes two to argue. BTW while looking at you interest it looks like we have much more in common than you think my two passions in life are Saltwater Fly fishing and reef tanks. I noticed you also enjoy fly fishing. If your ever in this neck of the woods I would love to take you out so you can experience some striper fishing . Here is my stomping ground.
OK wont let me post pics I will post when they fix this board but the offer still stand.

golfish

The only Stripers we see here in So Cal are in some of our fresh water lakes. I wouldn't even know what to use for them except for maybe a large streamer that would look like a 12" Rainbow. I know up in the San Fran area they are in the SW bays and inlets.
Those suckers do get big:scared:

saltaddict

Well the offer still stands if for any reason you find yourself on this side of the USA. I would love to take you out and show you some great saltwater action. They do get big you can expect fish in the teens to twenty as a norm but fish over 30 Lbs are harder to come by. I believe the stripers in San Fran were introduced fish from the east coast.

golfish

Originally posted by saltaddict
They do get big you can expect fish in the teens to twenty as a norm but fish over 30 Lbs are harder to come by. I believe the stripers in San Fran were introduced fish from the east coast.

They get bigger then that in our lakes but much bigger in the Colorado river..Its all the Trout plants they do here..Its just like having a tank full of Oscars and dropping a load of goldfish in.
Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it some day.

saltaddict

golfish
They get bigger than 30 LBs in fact 50lbs is considered a trophy 60lbs and 70 lbs have been caught. What I was saying is that fish in the say 8- 23 lbs are easy to come by on the flats with a flyrod the 30 lbs are more difficult to date my biggest fish has been a 45 " fish on an 8wt . If you go deeper with spinning you can definetly do better. But I find stalking them and seeing the fish take much more rewarding.

golfish

Originally posted by saltaddict
my biggest fish has been a 45 " fish on an 8wt .

:eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek: :scared: :eek: That's a huge fish on an 8 wt rod...That size fish would tow me all over the lake in my float tube. Ive caught 4-5 pound bows on 4wts but I mostly use 6 wt rods so I can mussel em in faster. I like to practice catch n release. If we're out camping I'll keep one or two for dinner but that's about it.
This isn't my biggest bow but it is the best looking one I've ever caught. I was kicking up into the mouth of the Owens river from Lake Crowley and hooked this big hook jaw Rainbow on a #10 Hornberg. This was about 10 years ago just after I got into fly fishing. Its a scanned picture, that's why it looks so bad.
http://members.aol.com/sf49er1959/reefpics/Hookjaw.jpg
I'd love to see a pic of that 45# striper you caught.
ok, here's the only picture I can post of a fish :happyfish
This site needs to get its $h!T together