T8

snakeblitz33

Standard lighting is not good for any reef tank. Upgrading would be the best way to go. I think the direction the hobby is going is towards LEDs. You might want to look into and research some decent LEDs for a small tank.

I know I'm trying to look around for an alternative to my current PAR38 bulb over my tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfriend101 http:///t/396282/t8#post_3530362
Well the box says its good for reefs and it says its an actinic 420 just like the t5

Hi,

I'm not the light person...the while thing about par and lumens elude me. LOL...I saw your post saying I won't look at your stuff...is this the stuff?

I had...HAVE T8 lighting, it's just the number of bulbs in the fixture. It would be good enough for medium light hungry corals, but not the ones that need high intensity. There are corals that need very bright SUN and some that like the shade. With a T5HO bulb...put light hungry corals at the top and the less needy corals lower in the tank...

Example:
Xenia: Top
Kenya tree: Middle
Muchroom corals: Bottom

This book shows you where each coral needs to be placed and how much light each one needs, so I lived by this book when I was doing a coral reef tank. I only keep seahorses now.

Here is a sample page...this book is awesome and super helpful!

S

saxman

Other than the BTA, which will do OK under slightly dimmer lighting, most 'nems are pretty light hungry...some more than others, so you'll likely want something brighter, IMHO.

A pair of clowns and a nem in a 10 gal is pretty ambitious unless you have some SW experience already (you didn't say one way or the other about that)...that's not much water or space.