Taking a poll...Coral Banded Shrimp, A good thing??

promisetbg

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Funny thing is that CBS's are cleaners in nature.... for some reason they just give up this habit in captivity. Kind of sad actually.
Not true if you have a pair,they will set up a station and clean the fish.
I keep them in my semi-aggressive tank...it works for me there,because the fish in there would eat other shrimp.I love my pair of CBS.

jennie

My CBS tormented everything in my tank, I took him back and got the cleaner shrimp which is much more relaxing to watch and everyone else in the tank is more relaxed also
jennie

murph

I just recently asked an LFS about adding a cleaner shrimp to my 75 that already contains a CBS. He said it should be no problem as the cleaners are generally to fast for the CBS to capture.
I looked around at his display tanks and his holding tanks which are pretty small and sure enough he had cleaners and cbs mixed together in both.
Of course your mileage may vary.

petjunkie

I had 2 cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in a 55. Now have one cleaner shrimp and the coral banded in a 33 long. I know he's eaten a couple hermits (Are the scarlets just more yummy looking!!??) but honestly I've had more problems with the cleaners killing hermits and arrow crabs and decorator crabs. I think it's one of those things you have to try to find out because so far everything in my tank has been the opposite of what you usually hear. I sold the other cleaner shrimp to people with an empty tank because he was vicious!!!

bergovoy

I have two CBS in one tank and one in the other tank. The pair of CBS are thriving and have grown to almost twice thier orignal size, (shedded thier shells 4-5 times each). They are very playful, and it is neat to watch them go after food, they swim upside down to the top of the tank and grab some and go back to eat it.
The other tank with just the one CBS the shrimp just hangs out upside down all the time under some rocks, I usually only see his antannae sticking out.
No other problems or aggression noticed between them and my other livestock.
Bill

bergovoy

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
My CBS tries to start a fight when I put my hand into the tank, but he never actually pinches.
The pair of CBS that I have dont snap at my hand but will climb on it when I stick my hand in the tank. I think it is kind neat when they do.
The only thing that snaps at me, is a yellow tail Damsel, That bugger snaps and attacks at will whenever I am cleaning the tank. It is great to watch. I usually clean the tank when I have company over just so they can get a laugh.
Bill

mrstwig

Well, it looks like I am going to keep the CBS after all although I did return the sand sifting starfish and got a serpent star instead. I hope that this CBS is as mild mannered as some of you say he is, he mostly hangs out in the back of the aquarium kinda under a rock. He is beautiful and he doesn't seem to have bothered the two fish I have in my tank. I'll keep you posted!

monalisa

Also, MrsTwig,
I spot feed my fishies 1-2 x/week, frozen prime reef or frozen formula II with garlic. Usually Scampi is front and center to get the best cuts. After he's fed, the fish eat directly out of my hand and I can usually spot feed my brittles with no problems. He's definitely a great addition to my tank, and I only have a 37 gal.
Enjoy your CBS, and wait till he molts a few times, his antennae become very, very showy!!!
Lisa :happyfish

mrstwig

Lisa, could you give me more information on this yummy treat that you feed to your guys? It sounds like I need some more treats for my guys too!

fishieness

Originally Posted by MrsTwig
Lisa, could you give me more information on this yummy treat that you feed to your guys? It sounds like I need some more treats for my guys too!
it is a type of frozen foods. Prime reef is a carnivourous diet while formula two is more veggies and other good things. I feed my CBS (Peter Parker) a piece of krill or silverside just to ease him over and keep him calm.

monalisa

The Prime Reef and Forumla II with garlic are simply frozen foods that you can find at any LFS. The food comes in little "trays" of sorts divided into sections big enough for a full feed, but because I use this as a treat I usually break the pieces up. One half, I soak in tank water for the CBS and brittles (oh, and usually the emerald crabs get in on the deal), and the other half I hold in the water for the fish...very cool!!! All three of my fish go nuts over it, and my female clown has been known to nuzzle my fingers from time to time...extremely cute!! Wait till you do it the first time...can't be beat!! I usually don't use a whole cube though, that just seems like too much for my tank.
I give them "treats" 1-2 x/week. They love it!!

fishieness

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
The Prime Reef and Forumla II with garlic are simply frozen foods that you can find at any LFS. The food comes in little "trays" of sorts divided into sections big enough for a full feed, but because I use this as a treat I usually break the pieces up. One half, I soak in tank water for the CBS and brittles (oh, and usually the emerald crabs get in on the deal), and the other half I hold in the water for the fish...very cool!!! All three of my fish go nuts over it, and my female clown has been known to nuzzle my fingers from time to time...extremely cute!! Wait till you do it the first time...can't be beat!! I usually don't use a whole cube though, that just seems like too much for my tank.
I give them "treats" 1-2 x/week. They love it!!

i only use a small fraction because it is a main diet of only my clownfish. My eel, puffer, and goby eat mostly vitamin enriched krill. I do feed them some formula one too, but i feed a small fracton eatch time. I guess are systems are jsut different. Oh yeah, and my moroon would be fat if i dont feed him for a week cause he is always picking at amphiopods.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Oceanists
they will snatch fish whenever they get a chance
I love watching my 2 CBS play tag with my tangs....over the past 4 years it's been going on and they haven't injured anyone......I watch this daily at feeding time!!!!!!!!!

acrylic51

Also, MrsTwig,
I spot feed my fishies 1-2 x/week, frozen prime reef or frozen formula II with garlic. Usually Scampi is front and center to get the best cuts. After he's fed, the fish eat directly out of my hand and I can usually spot feed my brittles with no problems. He's definitely a great addition to my tank, and I only have a 37 gal.
Enjoy your CBS, and wait till he molts a few times, his antennae become very, very showy!!!

littleliza

my CBS is really an interesting addition to my tank, but he's fearless. I've seen him grab my yellow tang by the mouth and go for a ride across the tank before (and it's not a tiny tang). I've got a cleaner shrimp in with him, but my three striped damsel never accepted him, so he lives on top of my filters and skimmer at the top of the tank, so they don't come into close contact. I have had a few smaller fish go missing, but I never had proof that it was him... I did have a pistol shrimp that I watched eat my scooter blenny, though. No problems with the ps and the cbs.

kjord97

Here is my .02
My CBS has been with my reef since i started my reef 2.3 years ago. My reef was a 20 gal, which upgraded to a 45gal, which is now upgraded to a 125gal. I still have all my orignal tank mates, even after 3 upgrades and 4 moves. My CBS, BrittleStar, 2 Peppermints(added 1.5 years ago) and 1 Cleaner Shrimp( Cleaner added 6 months ago). When i first got my CBS it was everywhere exploring. Now a days he just hides behind the rocks and only comes out to feed at night when i feed the tank. He molts about about every 3 months. I have never seen him fight anyone. I have even caught my cleaner cleanin up the CBS. I think ever CBS has there own personallity and i got a good one. For those of you that have shrimp or CBS sheeding off there exo skeleton every month, are you adding to much Iodine. Iodine is posion to shrimps and invertebrates. If to much Iodine is added, then they tend to sheed alot more. Also of course when the CBS first sheeds it will be aggressive for a few days, due to there skin is soft and he is just protecting his life. I like them, and it is always neat to see them come walking out from behind rocks to see what is going on. They are just impressive looking. Good luck with yours

mudplayerx

Also, MrsTwig,
Thats the best part of the CBS, the awsome anetnnae!!! :jumping:

S

sinner's girl

I don't know about reef safe, I know they will eat other shrimp. Mine hasn't bothered the urchins. I feed the cbs algea once a week or so and shrimp once a week or so. When I feed the urchins and cc star algea he'll climb to the highest rock near my hand and reach out, so I give him a piece. he takes it right from my hand.
I love him. Our first one was agressive, this one isn't.