Taking the right steps?

laxplayer50

I have a small cyno out break and was wondering if i am taking the right steps of getting rid of it. I know there are many threads about cyno but cant seem to get rid of it. Almost forgot, I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running for 3 months now.
1. weekly 1gallon water changes (shoould they be larger)
2. I use a turkey baster to take out any I can get at.
I feel like it's impossible to get rid of.
Thanks to all that reply

dmanatee

just checking but what are the parameters of the tank. Are you useing tap water or ro. what are you feeding your tank. (That normal bla bla bla)
also how long are your lights on for during the day.

I found when I reduced the light amount, increased the flow this helped significantly. But each tank is different after all.

J

jstdv8

like dan said increase flow, reduce lights (maybe even shut them off completley for 3 days)
and check your RO/DI water to make sure the TDS is 0
if you are buying the RO water than test that, if you are making it, test that too, may be time for a filter change if its high in TDS.

laxplayer50

I buy RO water from wal mart. I keep lights on for 8 hours a day. Also i have 2 korila nano PH's in my tank, there are really no dead spots. I feed mysids every three days, not much since i only have one fish right now.
My parameters
PH- 8.3
rates- 5
rites-0
KH- 10
ammonia- 0
Pho- 0
Cal- 400
Thanks i will reduce the lighting in there then to around 4-5 hours a day then.

J

jstdv8

well, if you have corals you can't really consitantly reduce the lighting too much or they won't get what they need to live.
Id have a LFS or water store do a test on that RO water you're buying and see what the TDS is.
I'm guessing that is the culprit

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxplayer50 http:///forum/thread/382367/taking-the-right-steps#post_3336603
I have a small cyno out break and was wondering if i am taking the right steps of getting rid of it. I know there are many threads about cyno but cant seem to get rid of it. Almost forgot, I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running for 3 months now.
1. weekly 1gallon water changes (shoould they be larger)
2. I use a turkey baster to take out any I can get at.
I feel like it's impossible to get rid of.
Thanks to all that reply

Try killing the lights for a couple of days.
my .02