Talk about blennies

spiderwoman

False alarm, that online store didn't have any after all. I hate emails like this
We regret to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your order at this time. We are presently locating the livestock you requested and will process your order once we have at least 70% of the animals you ordered in stock. We will update you via email with an estimated delivery time. We humbly apologize for any inconvenience.
We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions, concerns or comments.
Why on earth do they list the fish as *available* if they don't have it after all? I just don't get it. They sure charged my card. I'd love to see how they plan on sending anybody 70% of a fish

reefereric

I have a LMB and a scooter blenny in a 55 and they're happy together! Little Scooter stays out of Diva's way (wife named her). Scooter stays mainly on the sand, and Diva is always on the rocks. It's a great time watching them! My favorite two fish, for sure!

spiderwoman

I finally found one at an

[hr]
site so I have the Midas coming in tomorrow. My Starry arrived today. He is GORGEOUS! He is size large :) Pics to follow later tonight.

T

touchthesky00

So anyone know what the difference is in Midas Blennies. My lfs is telling me there are yellow canary, regular, and a african midas blenny

spiderwoman

Yellow Canary is not a Midas blenny, those are available plentyful. The only difference between Midas Blennies that I can think of is the capture area.. of the coast of Africa, Indonesia etc. There is a slight variation in the coloration. The one I bought the other day didn't ship yesterday like I had expected so I contacted the seller. Come to find out, this fellow is coming in a shipment from Hawaii and something got delayed in the shipment. I'm wondering if my blenny is going to be OK after an extra day of shipping. In other words they would bag that guy the same day and ship it out to me. Should I take the risk?

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2652160
I finally found one at an

[hr]
site so I have the Midas coming in tomorrow. My Starry arrived today. He is GORGEOUS! He is size large :) Pics to follow later tonight.

OK spidey, your loosing credibility here.

You said pics! dad gummit, I want pics!!
If mac could get smiley central, I'd post the
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS Smiley.
Can somebody help me out here??

fishkid13

I have a LMB and he is the best i am upgrading my tank to a 120-from 84-do you like i could but a bicolor blenny in with it.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2653369
OK spidey, your loosing credibility here.

You said pics! dad gummit, I want pics!!
If mac could get smiley central, I'd post the
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS Smiley.
Can somebody help me out here??

Patience Ms Tizzo, patience!!! hehehe I just got home from Dav's so I'm needing to unload :)

aquaknight

Here a general pic of a Ringneck Blenny my brother caught fishing off Ft. Lauderdale (rod and reel off a dock). He's in my parents QT now. No pics of him, as the Regal Angel in QT is not taking kindly to him for whatever reason

T

touchthesky00

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2653239
Yellow Canary is not a Midas blenny, those are available plentyful. The only difference between Midas Blennies that I can think of is the capture area.. of the coast of Africa, Indonesia etc. There is a slight variation in the coloration. The one I bought the other day didn't ship yesterday like I had expected so I contacted the seller. Come to find out, this fellow is coming in a shipment from Hawaii and something got delayed in the shipment. I'm wondering if my blenny is going to be OK after an extra day of shipping. In other words they would bag that guy the same day and ship it out to me. Should I take the risk?
well the guy im talking to says that the africans are from the coast of africa, are hardier, and 2-3 times biger than a normal midas
he also says the yellow canary midas is from indo
not sure....

spiderwoman

Canary Blenny is Meiacanthus oualanensis
Midas Blenny is Ecsenius midas
There is no such thing as a Yellow Canary Midas. He is trying to sell you a Canary Blenny that are plentiful in the trade.

spiderwoman

More info on Canary Plenny:
The Canary Fang Blenny is also known as the Oualan Forktail Blenny, or Canary Blenny. The Canary Fang Blenny is aptly named, being a solid vibrant yellow. Males are generally larger than females and experience a succession of color changes when breeding.
This blenny needs a minimum tank of 30 gallons with live rock for hunting and grazing in order to thrive. It is best to keep only one per tank unless a breeding pair is maintained. If attacked by other fish, the Canary Fang Blenny will retaliate by biting the inside of the mouth of the attacker. The Canary Fang Blenny is considered venomous and should be kept only with caution around children having tank access, since it may perceive fingers as an attacker and deliver a similarly painful bite.
The diet of the Canary Fang Blenny should consist of finely chopped crustacean flesh, mysid and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, as well as frozen herbivore preparations.

In other words, it's a Fang Blenny, Midas doesn't have fangs.

spiderwoman

My Midas Blenny has finally arrived!!! He is being acclimated as we speak. I did get a Starry Blenny 2 weeks ago and he is doing great. At first he would only eat pods and algae from the rocks and sand and last week he started eating everything that was being fed. He is like a puppy dog I tell ya! He sometimes sits on top of the Mag-Float and just looks at me. He is not skittish at all, but very social and always front and center when I'm near the tank.
Yeah I know... pictures!

spiderwoman

OK I have now proven that 2 different types and colored blennies will not work in 75. I have a large size Starry Blenny and large size Midas Blenny and they did not get along. For 3 days the Midas was hiding in holes in the LR and finally started eating yesterday. The Starry would try to attack the holes where the Midas was in. 10 minutes ago the Midas finally swam out and Starry was attacking it fairly fiercely. I did what had to be done and Midas is now in the refugium. As soon as the 150 has lights (tomorrow, latest Monday), she will move to the big tank.
In a nutshell, don't try 2 blennies in a 75g tank.

crabbeo

I have been doing some snorkeling here in Pensacola at the mouth of the pass to the gulf of Mexico and the blennies cover the rocks down here.They have to be 2 or 3 every foot to 18".The little ones nip at your finger tips when you hold on to the rocks.The bigger ones will let you get within a foot of em.These wild ones get at least 6inchs or better.I didnt know they changed colors,more light from dark depending on background.I have 2 different kind I caught in a local tank with about 6 of em in there.I have several under 1 inch swimin around my local anemone,chasin after my finger mullet.And the local anemone ranch from blue and red to orange and yellow and all in between.Attachment 202656I call em Red Mohawk Blennies and the other blennie doesnt have mohawk it has 2 horns.

spiderwoman

Here are the 2 blennies:
Starry: size large

Midas on her first day in the 75 (hiding behind mushrooms)

After the fighting between them 2 I moved the Midas to the 150g tank and she is very happy there