Tang Blotches

mgochay

I just got a Naso Tang a couple of days ago and now he has what looks like white blotches on his body. Looks like what bleach does to clothes. (Nobody freak out there's no bleach in my tank
Anyway kinda looks like what happens if you spatter bleach on your clothes.
Anyone know what this might be?? Is he just stress'n in his new environment??
THANX!!!!!!

tjswanson

Something i like to do is use penicillin. Mix one tablet with its food (brine shrimp) let the mixture sit and dissolve for 30-60 minutes.... It works wonders... It doesn't kill inverts or hurt corals because its in the food and your treating the fish.... even if an invert eats the food it doesn't hurt them.

tjswanson

Something i like to do is use penicillin. Mix one tablet with its food (brine shrimp) let the mixture sit and dissolve for 30-60 minutes.... It works wonders... It doesn't kill inverts or hurt corals because its in the food and your treating the fish.... even if an invert eats the food it doesn't hurt them.

kris

Is your Naso stressed--do these patches come and go? They get this way when something freaks them out--every time I'd startle mine or try to catch him he'd get all splotchy and his mohawk (as I liked to call it) would go up. He'd stay this way for about 15 minutes after life settled down again.

mgochay

I'm thinking he might be stressed. I just put him in there 3/28/00 and they appeared not long after he was in the tank. I also had to transport him an 1 hr and 10 min from the fish store (got him in the town i work in, as there are basically none in the town I live in
) so i'm wondering if that is part of the problem. gonna give it a couple of days and see what happens.
TTYL
Originally posted by Kris:
Is your Naso stressed--do these patches come and go? They get this way when something freaks them out--every time I'd startle mine or try to catch him he'd get all splotchy and his mohawk (as I liked to call it) would go up. He'd stay this way for about 15 minutes after life settled down again.

mgochay

Just an update. I got home from work today and walked up to my tank and he had no blotches on him. As I was looking at him they appeared again. Then I went into the kitchen for a bit then went back they were gone again and again as I was looking they came back... weird!!! Maybe I freak him out hehehe

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It may sound ridiculous, but that's exactly what you're doing...freaking him out! Tangs are very gittery creatures, easily spooked. I suggest that any time you approach the tank or want to peer in, you approach slowly and peer in unobtrusively

mgochay

It's not like I run up to the tank and yell BOO!! LOL! j/k Maybe i'll sashay <spelling>
up to the tank so as not to "freak" him out hehehe.. "That really FREAKS me out Baby! Yeah!! A/P

Originally posted by beth:
It may sound ridiculous, but that's exactly what you're doing...freaking him out! Tangs are very gittery creatures, easily spooked. I suggest that any time you approach the tank or want to peer in, you approach slowly and peer in unobtrusively

kris

Don't worry -after awhile mine came up to me as I went by, I could put my nose to the tank even and he'd come up. Quite a character. You'll enjoy him alot once he feels more at home. But he'll still break out once in awhile -like when you do your water changes.

mgochay

Don't worry -after awhile mine came up to me as I went by, I could put my nose to the tank even and he'd come up. Quite a character. You'll enjoy him alot once he feels more at home. But he'll still break out once in awhile -like when you do your water changes.

Thanx Kris. That's what i'm hoping. just wish I could see him/her eat once. just bought some frozen brine shrimp and i'm gonna "direct some down his way. Wish me the best

kris

Just checking back---how's the tang doing now?? Are you still scaring him or is he your best bud now??

mgochay

Just checking back---how's the tang doing now?? Are you still scaring him or is he your best bud now??
Well the blotches are far less frequent now and we're still working on the best bud part
He's gonna have to compete with my dogface puffer for that spot lol.
He did start eating though. I just put this saltwater plant in yesterday (wish i could remember the name) and he loves it. I tried what i thought was romaine (come to find out it was red leaf) lettuce and neither of my tangs would touch it (cept for the time my puffer attacked the lettuce and dispersed a few chunks of it and my yellow tang picked at it a bit) But they both love this stuff.
Anyway that's the lattest. bu-bye