Tang Dilema

red tiger

So I inherited a few tangs over the past week, 5 Days ago, my little brother gave up is Scopa tang which is now about 3.5" or so and is in my QT tank.
Then my co worker has no idea how to care for SW fish and his dad had a stroke and cannot care for the tank anymore, and gave me his Brown Powder Tang, about 4" which is also in a different QT tank.
Well, last night my younger cousin brought over his Blue Hippo, which he had in a BioCube that he can no longer care for and is now in my 29 standard gallon tank, which i had set up just for kicks, is now a Holding Tank for the Blur Hippo Alone!
I Have a 50 gallon with a yellow tang already, about 4" and will be upgrading into a 120 next month!
My question, will i be able to keep these tangs in peace without them trying to kill eachother?

mr. limpid

You do have a dilemma. In a 120 I would not go over 3 tangs and that is pushing it. Yellow and Scopa are similar body shape they will fight, need decide on one of these, they also are aggressive. Powder Brown is also aggressive, it should be added at same time as one of the other tangs, then cross fingers. The Hippo is the least aggressive and should be added first.
Good luck

mr. limpid

Yep, each fish is different, the only thing you have going for you is that they are same size and they can be added at same time (and both will be health since they are QT). Provided plenty of hiding places and also swimming room. Just a suggestion, try to provided a figure 8 design of rocks, or the tangs will just race back and fourth in the front. They will still at times do that, but at least they have an option to go a different route.

btldreef

Scopus and the Yellow tang are definitely going to be an issue in a 120, especially as they grow.
The yellow tang is known to be aggressive. If you can find a new home for the Scopus or the Yellow, definitely do so. The hippo, powder brown and either the yellow or the scopus should be okay together, even though in a 120, that's pushing it, so keep the rest of your bioload light.

S

siptang

Very hit or miss...
Just in case you do go with it, create many holes and places where fish can take refuge.

red tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/390640/tang-dilema#post_3460548
Scopus and the Yellow tang are definitely going to be an issue in a 120, especially as they grow.
The yellow tang is known to be aggressive. If you can find a new home for the Scopus or the Yellow, definitely do so. The hippo, powder brown and either the yellow or the scopus should be okay together, even though in a 120, that's pushing it, so keep the rest of your bioload light.

Will do so, Will create lots of caves for them to hide in!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/390640/tang-dilema#post_3460533
So I inherited a few tangs over the past week, 5 Days ago, my little brother gave up is Scopa tang which is now about 3.5" or so and is in my QT tank.
Then my co worker has no idea how to care for SW fish and his dad had a stroke and cannot care for the tank anymore, and gave me his Brown Powder Tang, about 4" which is also in a different QT tank.
Well, last night my younger cousin brought over his Blue Hippo, which he had in a BioCube that he can no longer care for and is now in my 29 standard gallon tank, which i had set up just for kicks, is now a Holding Tank for the Blur Hippo Alone!
I Have a 50 gallon with a yellow tang already, about 4" and will be upgrading into a 120 next month!
My question, will i be able to keep these tangs in peace without them trying to kill eachother?
IMO On your question of so many tangs getting along... no...also a 50g is just too small for any tang. They don't need caves to hide as much as they need swim room. Even with the upgrade you can't keep all those fish, and the caves to hide in won't work. Tangs are free swimmers and will not remain in the caves...they will fight. A 29g could stress out the fish and make it sick.

red tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/390640/tang-dilema#post_3460570
IMO On your question of so many tangs getting along... no...also a 50g is just too small for any tang. They don't need caves to hide as much as they need swim room. Even with the upgrade you can't keep all those fish, and the caves to hide in won't work. Tangs are free swimmers and will not remain in the caves...they will fight. A 29g could stress out the fish and make it sick.
Well yes! The 29 is a QT only, The rock work is throw them off.
Lets say in order to keep them 4, Which tank would be appropriate, At least the conscientious way!