Tang Food

dcel22

I recently saw this...
therefore they require a lot of vegetable mater in their diet. Vegetable matter can include seaweed (nori), blanched romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli or zucchini
So I have to ask, can I really feed my yellow tand romaine lettuce spinace broccoli or zucchini???

splash

I read that as well. Some of the vegetable matter has no real vitamin value. Also to eat lettuce etc you need to boil it to break down the "cellulose" which fish can't break down. I would stick with dried algae and stuff that is already provided for these particular fish. There is also a product for tangs which is shipped from Hawaii. It is a very bright red type of seaweed that can be grown at home which is highly nutritious! I'll try to find out what it is called and where to buy it if you are interested.

splash

In such a case I would simply recommend seaweed select. That is the name of the product. I purchase mine at *****. It is strips of dried green seaweed etc. that your tang will love. Just cut off a strip and attach to a clip that can stick to the glass. Seaweed Select cost me up to $6.99 but lasts a long time. I would not bother with the vegetable stuff. My tang won't touch anything else. I must confess I had to get rid of my tang because he was nasty mean. But he loved it. THere may be other similar products at the petstore, but that would be my recommendation. Besides, vegetables spoil over time. THe red seaweed stuff was not cheap!!! Hope your enjoying your hobby.

chandler4

Next time u need to buy yer broke

[hr]
some food at the supermarket, look in the section where they serve japanese/asian cuisine, especially if they have a shushi place. Buy this product called nori. It is dried seaweed, used to roll sushi. Best kept secret in the trade of sw fish keeping (not really a secret, but a good tool) It costs maybe $30, and I used mine for a couple months feeding my tang large bits 2-3 times a day. U MUST get the untoasted, un flavored stuff. Just plain, dried seaweed is all u need. U can look at health food stores, the market, or even a japanese restaurant. For real nutrition, u can soak it in gralic or zoe, which u can buy at the fish store. :D

angelofish

The cheapest is the nori.I think the $30 was a typo.More like $3.You get more for your money than buying the LFS stuff. Think about it. Those veggies don't grow in the ocean.

texuskid

whats the difference in the dried seaweed you buy in the pet store and a package of dried seeweed you can buy in an oriental store, besides the $6 difference in charge when you buy it at the pet store????? The dried nori at an oriental store is about $ .99 and you get alot more!!