Tang ID

corbin1234

ive had this tang for about a week and a half now and it wasnt till now that i realized, i dont know what kind of tang it is!! i was told it was a kole tang, but every kole i look at looks completely different.
the first two pics are of swf.com's koles but neither look like mine
the last pic is of mine, he's really hard to get pics of-fast fish+hes afraid of the camera
it somewhat fits the description of one but, under the description for kole tangs on this site, it says they have a yellow circle around its eye--mine has a blue circle??
someone help me out

promisetbg

Blue eyed Kole Tang..in the Bristletooth family. They are really pretty..harder to find than the yellow eye. Some call them blue spot Kole.

jdboy

Spotted Kole Tang I think. :thinking: If it were a Blue Eye Tang wouldn't it have a blue eye.

ophiura

All in all, I think they are a lovely underappreciated fish
They can be very subtle...but the coloration can be beautiful.

dogstar

Its not a Blue Eye. Its C. strigosus, Yellow Eye, Indian Ocean morph, same speices as the more common Pacific Ocean form.

promisetbg

I did'nt read it right at first either.
Originally Posted by corbin1234
ive had this tang for about a week and a half now and it wasnt till now that i realized, i dont know what kind of tang it is!! i was told it was a kole tang, but every kole i look at looks completely different.
the first two pics are of swf.com's koles but neither look like mine
the last pic is of mine, he's really hard to get pics of-fast fish+hes afraid of the camera
it somewhat fits the description of one but, under the description for kole tangs on this site, it says they have a yellow circle around its eye--mine has a blue circle??

dogstar

AAaahh, your right.
I read it quick and looked at the pics.
jdboy's pic is the Blue Eye , and corbins pics are actually both morphs of the Yellow Eye Kole.
And promisetbg has the Good Eye. haha

dragonboy

I have one for a month for now but he tends to stay behind the rocks a lot but occasionally come out to graze on algae. They are pretty quick swimmers and always active. I love them they are great. I lost my salifin tang recently to scoylmia coral but I'm thinking to get another soon. I just love all kinds of tangs.

nm reef

To me its a kole tang ( eye coloration difference based on localaity of capture)......mine I believe was yellow eyed......

dogstar

Was !!! sorry to here that. I lost my Yellow Eye of three years to H. Wilma and replaced it with a Blue Eye and love it. There was no agression from any of the other tangs in case your interested.