Tang Idenity

dockery07

Can you tell me what type of Tang Fish this is. I have been told three different things. And I cannot find him in the book. He is the best fish ever. Such a personality. I think I have had him about a year, the coolest thing is he can change color. Sometimes he is really dark and then sometimes he is light with yellow and blue stripes around his eyes.
Thanks

fishfood

looks similar to one i had that the lfs called a blue eye tang. Actually it looks exactly like it but i can't tell if it has blue eyes. Mine did. Let me go back a sec. You aren't talking about the sailfin are you. Anyway it was similar to a kole tang in a way. It did have awsome color when is opens up and is in the light. damn tank had ich and when i was away last christmas something stressed the entire tank and bam! ich everywhere. only my clown survived. I never did find any info on that tang though either. If i were to set up another larger tank i would try to get another one but i've only ever seen them at the one lfs and they swear by them as far as cleaning the algae from the tank.

dockery07

When I got him they told me it was a Doctor Tang. Then another guy told me it was a surgeon. So I was just wondering. He did get sick a little when I was on vacation in July but is all better now. I have never seen another on like him. I just checked his eyes and they are blue. WOW I did not know that.
I sure hope you can find another even though he is not very pretty I think I like him best.

fishfood

Actually i thought it was a very nice looking fish. When he opens up with the lights shining on him you can see virtical line on it if i remember correctly. I don't remember! All i know is that it did have a better personallity than any other tang i've ever had. I can always go back to the lfs i got the first one from if i every want one but will probably not do that on principle. Personal issues plus their fish are always sick.

dockery07

I used to work at the LFS that got this one in. So I knew if I got him fast he would be okay. And he is not mean at all. Now that I got the yellow tang out of the tank, everyone is playing nice together.

S

simm

If its the lighter color one it looks like a sailfin. My sailfin has an awsome personality as well. If its the other tang it looks like a kole.

Now that I see them side by side, I don't think so......
But it was worth a shot. It was the yellow on the tail that led me to this...sorry
MCF

The more I look at his picture, the more I like him..I hope someone can ID the fish for you....I am curious now too!
He does seem unusual....
GL...........MCF

S

simm

Its either a Kole or a Scopas tang. More than likely a kole the more I look at it.

fishfood

I thought mine had some type of virticle stripes. Blue sounds right and it does contrast with the yellow. That was 10 months ago when i had it and only had it for about 3 so i couldn't quite remember. Its just a dark fish overall that when it is in bright direct light you see so much more on him. Oh and its not a kole tang. If you had a kole next to that fish you would see a big difference.

dockery07

I think I figured it out. I got out the Atlas and put all of the tang pictures up next to him. He is looks most like a Acanthurus Chirurgus or Doctorfish.... He is a tang but maybe in a different family which makes him not as mean as the others. But sometimes he looks like an Ocean Surgeon. When he gets a light color.
He is very cool, I recommend one to anyone.

dpittman

I am almost positive that what you have is a juvenile Acunthurus
xanthopterus. Which means that fish is going to grow into a huge mother - one of the largest tangs there is. Also known as a yellowfin or yellowface. They are often collected and sold as misc. tang because they are tough to identify.