Tang mesh??

kaotik

I was wondering about mixing several tangs. I really like the look of the yellow tang, blue hippo, purple, and naso. Will these get along okay and will they be alright in a 60gal?

fishguy_40

that tank is way too small for all those tangs. if you start them off small they will outgrow that tank rapidly.

loopy

just fyi...I had one yellow tang in my 55, before I found out it was too big for a 55, it died. I love tangs, but until a bigger tank is ready..........no tangs for me.

kaotik

if I were planning on getting them a larger tank when they get larger would they get along well or do some of those not mix?

greatfullreefer

Yellow and purple will fight and if you put them all in the 60 gallon then i guess the one that lives will do ok when you get the larger tank. I suggest waiting for the larger tank which i hope is at least a 180 gallon?

ucdpike2001

Originally posted by kaotik
I was wondering about mixing several tangs. I really like the look of the yellow tang, blue hippo, purple, and naso. Will these get along okay and will they be alright in a 60gal?

Its things like this that bring a smile to my face.....

kaotik

So you're saying that a 60 gal is even too small for one yellow tang?? I see these all the time in tanks smaller than mine!?!?
Maybe I should have phrased my initial question differently because it sounds like everyone thinks I want to put ALL of these in one tank...
What I meant to say was: If I like the look of these four tangs; which, if any, would get along and which one (or two if 60gal is big enough) could I put in a 60 gallon?
hope that helps:thinking:

greatfullreefer

It all depends on the dimensions of your tank, if it is any less than 4ft in length then no yellow tang. If it is 4 ft then IMO you could get away with a small yellow tang for a short while (a year or maybe 2). I would suggest looking at a kole tang that would be far more compatible with a 60 gallon as they are the only Tang that are reef dwellers and do not require so much horrizontal swimming space that the other open water swimmers need.

bailey52

Hey guys, I have a 90 gal 4 ft tank... I have not heard people say my tank would be too small for a tang really.. what are all of your opinions?

scubadoo

Your chance of mixing tangs and have them get along increase if they have different body shapes. No absolutes as these animals all have their own personalities.
Bailey52.....Yellow tangs get quite large which is why they cannnot live through adulthood in your tank. In my opinion, success is having the same fish for years...not days, weeks, months., or one year. If you want to keep a yellow through adulthood...he will not be happy in a 90 and will most likely die from stress once he feels cramped.
Can you put a small tang in your tank...yes...will he/she live through adulthood...not likely. JMO

scubadoo

Bailey....A Kole Tang may work in your 90.....I always forget about these guys. THey need plenty of algae to eat .

fishcrazy2

Way to many tangs man i have a 90 gallon and i have 3 tangs in it but i have get rid of 2 which is will probaly yellow and my purple so my ppwder blue tang can dominate the tank but the only tang you could (MAYBE) put in a 55 is a yellow tang thats the the only one tho good luck

goldenboy

I agree with GREATFULREEFER its the 4ft rule. Tangs needs the swimming room. If not provided with it they will possibily get hlle. If you want to see tangs with hlle look at the disease board. If you have a 4ft tank stay away from tangs. IMO:)

kaotik

I am very confused...Why do I see so many people with tanks smaller than 100 gallons and less than 4 feet in length with both yellow and blue tangs together? How big of a tank do they need? In reality, isnt every tank is too small for every fish when you compare it to the ocean that they came from? I have also heard that a fish wont outgrow its tank but I know that this is only true because the fish's growth is actually stunted and/or it is unhealthy for the fish. But at what point do you know if a tank is too small and why? How would anyone know how much room each fish actually needs? Does anyone know the full grown sizes of the four tangs that I mentioned? (yellow, blue, purple, naso) :notsure:

fishy411

The size doesnt really matter. In reality i wouldnt keep a tang in anything less than a 6' by 18"
When the fish starts acting wierd and not moving as much u know the tansk too small