tang not eating

jb rekit

Been a while since I got a new tang. Had 3 yellow tangs about 8 years ago and had a sailfin not to long after that so I don't remember their acclimation process, but I thought they did well right away.
This is a pretty large yellow tang (only tang in tank) and swims around fine and is active, but he did not eat last night or tonight. Got him yesterdat afternoon. Floated him w/ the lights off and then did the drip. Left the lights off for a few hours after that.
I fed frozen brine, blood worms, formula 1, a LFS homeade food, has seaweed, garlic, squid, brine, etc. I also have a clip on the wall with some seaweed on it too that he is not messing with.
Should I try to feed or do something different or just wait it out.
I know he needs to eat to live.
John

greatfullreefer

JMO probably due to stress of a new environment, i wouldnt worry just yet fish can go a few weeks before they starve to death. Just keep an eye on him, maybe try soaking the food in a little garlic to tempt him.

jb rekit

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
How long did you acclimate that guy for?

Right at 1 hour. About 15 minutes for just temp adj. and 45 min. w/ the drip/ the rest of the temp adj.
That is actually about the longest I have ever dripped a fish before. I usually only acclimate most of my fish for around 30 minutes or so but I went and ate lunch while this guy was acclimating and thats why he got the full hour. Lights were off the whole time too.
As good as all the water conditions are, I am just kind of suprised at his not eating. Amm - 0, trites - 0, trates -0, RO water, refugium, 60 #'s LR.

viper_930

This might not even be the reason why he isn't eating, but 45 min drip is way too fast for acclimation. You should acclimate them for 3-4 hours.

jb rekit

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
This might not even be the reason why he isn't eating, but 45 min drip is way too fast for acclimation. You should acclimate them for 3-4 hours.

Well, I guess whats done is done. I hope he will be ok. I know there are many other variable to tank water, but since I get most of my stuff from my LFS I know we use the same salt / salinity/ RO water, temp within a degree or so, I seeded my fuge from theirs so I have always figured their wasn't too much difference and haven't had any problems in the past, but I will definatly do a much longer acclimation for the rest of the fish I get.
Thanks

clarkiiboi

It could be eating off the rocks and such---no need to worry, yet. Garlic isnt a bad idea. It could be eating and you might think its not (off the rocks). I acclimated mine in about an hour, like you, and it is fine (six months later, no drip, the old fashioned way). 3-4 hours would be great, but not needed IMHO. Give it a week or two, bet it will eat.