tang police, help me out please

sleasia

I have started a second tank as some of you are aware. 150 gallon reef. I had wanted to divide up the stock I have in the 200 fowlr and inverts and transfer some of the fish to the reef tank to provide everyone with more room...I know I have to keep the blue face angel and the auriga butterfly in the fowlr because they are reef eaters, and I will keep the naso tang in the 200 because it deserves the larger tank....but what about the three yellow tangs and the hippo tang? I thought yellow tangs and hippo tangs are reef safe? But some members have told me they will nip at the corals...Is it ok to put these guys in the reef tank? (I am not going to do this now, the tank has been up and cycled now for 2 months and I plan to wait several more months before I put anyone in).thanks

mopar9012

Ive only really heard of those tangs picking at corals every ONCE in a while.
It just really depends. Many people have hippo tangs and yellow tangs in reefs so...

reefforbrains

JMO but I think they will be fine, pickers ae usually taught to pick by conditions, being low in the totem pole in feedings. missing feedings ect. All tangs have the potential to do it, but seldom do. Its just once they start they usually do not stop.

puffer32

I have a yellow tang in my 150, and he only eats the algae on the rocks the corals are on, i think they would be safe in a reef, probably the hippo also, many people have tangs in reefs.

zanoshanox

i've done hippos and yellows in reef tanks with pretty much every type of coral, had very minamal problems.

sleasia

Ok, now the hippo is a good 4 inches maybe 5, should it stay in the 200 or can it go into the 150? :thinking: